Are you working from home and taking care of your kids at the same time?

I work from home as a programmer. I have to be available online from 8 to 5 and I have enough work to cover 40 hours per week. My boss doesn't know that I am also watching my kids because I am trying to save the money I would have to spend on daycare (approx 1200 per month). I have a 2 year old boy and a one year old girl. I put together a schedule for us so that I don't go crazy, but still, some days I get quite overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do on both fronts. I mostly work when my kids are sleeping, or when they are playing together or after my husband comes home from work, sometimes I also work at nights when I am really behind.
If you are in the same situation as I am, I would appreciate if you could give me some tips of things that have worked for you in trying to balance all this.
PS. This is only my 3rd week of doing this. My MIL helped me with the kids until now, but now she is gone until next year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I also work from home with my two little ones. It seems like we have quite a bit in common. My son is 2 1/2 and my daughter will be 14 months next week. I don't work as many hours as you do, I work when ever I want. I mostly work while the kids are sleeping and at night. My Mom comes to help me with laundry on Fridays. Do you have anyone else who can help you every once in a while? I used to do laundry everyday, but I decided to just do it once a week. It's easier that way. Try to figure out what works best for you, and stick with it. It will get easier. Message me if you need you'd like to chat. :-)

Hope this helps a bit.

Erika
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You need to make sure that you are getting enough sleep; the last thing that you need is a compromised immune system. Get a high school or college student to entertain your kids for three or four hours a day; a cleaning person would be helpful a couple of times a month.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Same here, I'm able to work when I want, but still in order to make a decent living, I do need to work a few hours a day and my son is in a clingy stage. I've tried and tried again and working with him on me is just not happening. Women I talk to who have older kids than mine say they give the kids a movie or a game and split their days up by one hour blocks.

I'm able to do my marketing/advertising while my son is rowdy and then get to my phone calls when he's asleep or quiety entertained. And there are of course times when I let my interviewee or customer know that I work at home and these are the daily sounds!
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 7:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My work load isn't as bad, we do own a carpet cleaning business but I can do the office work in just an hour or two, then just answer phones. On days with large jobs we drop the kids off at my moms for a few hours so I can go with my husband.

But if you can't afford or even want to use daycare perhaps you can at least hire someone to come for just 2 hours a day when the kids ARE awake to watch them right there in the house with you so that you gain two extra hours of productive work on top of when they are asleep. That way you gain more time with your family when you aren't working, instead of family time being turned into work time,
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I work at home with a 4 year old and 3 year old, and have since they were born. It's VERY hard to juggle it all. daycare would cost us about $800 a month, plus the gas to get there, so it's not really an option. neither is having a sitter for a few hours, and we don't have any grandparents at a handy distance.

Between taking care of the kids and other disruptions, I sometimes work till 10 or 11 at night, sometimes later. I try to get up early to get work done before they wake up, but it seems like they have an alarm that goes off the second I get up, because 5 mins after I do, they get up as well -- no matter what time it is.
    psychessun

Answer by psychessun at 8:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I work from home as a data manager and consultant, primarily for a text book company- I work roughly 30 hours a week and have been for several months now. I have a four year old and a 5 month old at home- plus a 16 & 11 year old. It is extremely difficult. I have tried to work early in the morning before the kids wake, and at night after they are in bed, and when my older girls are home to play with the babies. But I don't know if you have that kind of flexibility regularly. Look for inexpensive moms morning out programs - I use one for my four year old, it's very affordable and gives me four hours three times a week- I'm almost ready to leave the baby too- but still haven't worked up to it yet. This is such a hard position for a mom, I often find myself missing my office and separation of work and mom time! I've just informed my boss that I am planning a break- I need time to catch my breath, I'm definitely overwhelmed.GL!!
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I also work at home. I don't work as many hours as you do and I have a more flexible schedule where I can work whenever as long as I get my work in 24 hours from when it was given to me. I have two kids. One is almost 4 and is in full-day preschool, from 8:30-3 (I drive her). I have my 15-month-old here with me all day, though. I work a lot when she is napping. If I have to work while she is awake, I just let her roam. I close off the rooms that she cannot get into. She usually just stays in the room w/ me here, though. It really does get hard sometimes when I am swamped and I have a lot of housework to do and the kids are driving me nuts.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 9:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2010