The Saudi's are going nuclear, too?

Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil supplier, is set to establish a civilian nuclear and renewable energy centre to help meet increasing demand for power as the country pushes forward with economic expansion plans.

The official Saudi press agency said on Saturday that the new centre, the King Abdullah City for Nuclear and Renewable Energy, would be based in Riyadh and would be led by Hashim Abdullah Yamani, a former commerce and trade minister.

Although all discussions have focused upon civilian uses of the technology, analysts note that Saudis and the other Arab Gulf states do not want to lag further behind Iran and Israel in developing nuclear technologies.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9da5b930-4aed-11df-a7ff-00144feab49a.html

So, is this a good idea or not?

29again

Asked by 29again at 1:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Now is the perfect time to get started in building nukes. Maybe they don't want to build them just for blowing people up but they do have that in the back of their mind. With the Obama slack policies, it's the perfect time to ramp up production before a President who knows what they are doing gets in office
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• All counties can develop nuclear energy for peaceful purposes and there are uses other than making bombs and many of them.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well we all know it is said for peaceful purposes... but I am not dumb. I remember back in uh 01 or 02 Saudi was building a missile base. According to the report they had ground-to-ground missiles capable of carrying nuclear payloads.
    I have to find the article.... but I think the more people reaching nuclear capability is always a bad idea. You can not expect those wanting world domination to avoid the temptation of crossing the line.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well crap I can't find the article but it was written by Ronen Bergman either 2001 or 2002.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The Royal family will need full instructions on how to operate such a facility and after that they will have to hire someone to read the instructions for them.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 8:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree itsmesteph, he seems to be a pacifist at best when it comes to other countries building and developing nukes.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Why wouldn't they when every other country is doing it?

"Maybe they don't want to build them just for blowing people up but they do have that in the back of their mind"

And America does not have blowing up people on the back of their mind? How would you feel if you lived in a country that had nothing to protect itself with?

If no one had any bombs, then i would understand this question.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well, they do have blowing people up in mind. If you think differently you are just being foolish. Among the Arab States Saudi Arabia is seen as somewhat "rogue." They are "westernized" in many ways that is uncomfortable to their neighbors. Additionally, Saudi Arabia is on Iran's "chit" list. They have no choice but to develope nuclear weapons. Their survival depends upon it.

This being said, they also must look forward to the time when the oil runs out..and with it their economy. They have to get a plan and implement it before that time arrives.

I don't particularly like it, but I understand it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I thought we were talking about nuclear POWER plants. Why shouldn't they ? We have them.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sure but be aware.. some countries have EVIL leadership and not to mention devious ones that can hide things . so perfect set up... every country has that ability but it wouldnt be smart to cross that line.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010