Why does my fixed cat want to go outside so bad?

I mean I get the fact that he probably gets bored and wants to know whats on the other side. But,,its every single day now that Im fighting this cat at the front door. I was doing laundry tonight and Mr escape artist was waiting to bolt at the door. Does anyone else have this problem with their fixed feline friend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pets

• It is spring time, new smells, birdes and other critters are out in the yards. Try opening a window so your cat can sniff and hear everything going on. Your cat is not different from you, it is spring nad its warming up the natural urge is to get out doors and soak up some sun. I am having same issue with my 4 indoor cats they keep huddling by the front door ready to run out as soon as it opens. Is started opening the windows once daytime temps were tolerable and they havent tried to go out side since.

Since your cat is fixed maybe allow him/her outside while you pull weeds or work in the yard. I have one cat who only goes out during yardwork and then comes right back inside, and she is completely content with that.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sorry my typing is way off tonight that should have been "birdies" and i can see a bunch of other errors, i think it is time for bed lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• anon 11:07,,,I do leave the windows open for him and I think it makes it worse. He watches the birds all day long and I swear he is just looking at them and thinking, :I got to get me one of those birds" Im so afraid he is going to get eaten by a cayote or hit by a car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• put him on a leash and take him on a walk! lol sounds dumb but it might help.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 2:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• One of my cats was like this. I had raised her and her siblings from the time they were 2 weeks old so they had not been outside since that time. Penny was determined she was going outside so I put her on a harness and leash and let her. In Penny's case she got it out of her system and does not care about going outside. I know some people that will take their cats out all the time and it seems to help other cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We built ours an outside room (2 x 4 frame, baby chicken wire top/bottom/sides) and put a cat tree (a real piece of tree with carpeted pedestals) and some of those little carpet covered play things in it. They love it! They have a doggy door entrance that they can use whenever they want to, and most days they wander in and out ~ even when it's pouring (the roof is covered).

We're out in the boonies though, and don't have any neighbors or codes to worry about. I know they sell little ones that just allow cats to sit right outside a window that might help you. Other than that, your cat sounds normal. Even housecats get bored and are generally still interested in what goes on outside. Getting another cat might help ~ your's would have someone to play with ~ or playing with yours more are also options. Good luck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010