Is it legal for the the Catholic Archdioses be blatantly racist?

The church my MIL works at is in SouthCentral LA which is predominantly Latino. About 50 years ago the church served the Hungarian community. Since then, the Hungarians have not stopped coming to the church. However the majority of the people that service and attend the church are Latinos.

Last week the church got a letter from the LA Catholic Archdioses saying that the church was going to only serve the Hungarian community. Is this legal??

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Legal? Probably...the church is a private entity...but LOGICAL is another matter. Are you sure that this has been interpreted correctly? Is there even a Hungarian population in the area any more?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• There are absolutely no Hungarians in the community. They travel from outside of Los Angeles to have their events at the church. Plus! when they hold fundraisers at the church, they don't give any of the proceeds to the church. I'm going to write a letter to the Archdioses.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am not a Catholic but in my experience whatever the faults of the church, I have never heard it described as racist . On the contrary, to the best of my knowledge it has always welcomed people of any ethnic origin. I do know that it makes efforts to serve groups of particular ethnic communities and maybe this is a misguided initiative based on out-of-date information and demographics. Have you talked to the church clergy about this ? Maybe the Bishop and diocesan officials should be invited to the parish to review the situation and discuss it with parishioners and clergy.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thats a sad situation. I don't know if its legal but its certainly nothing close to Christ like.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I bet that archdioces is alone in his racism. Maybe someone needs to go higher up the ladder than him? Yeah, that's really wrong.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Legal, honestly, probably yes, because, as a pp said, the church is a private group and it can choose to serve whomever it wants to serve, based on whatever criteria they determine.

The bigger questions though should be is it moral, is it Christian, should this be condoned, and should this be reported to a higher authority (because even the Archdioses has someone he answers to...)

The answers to those questions are: NO, it's not moral, NO, it's not Christian, NO, it should not be condoned, and YES, it should be addressed - with him, and with his superiors!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• NO, but I'd really like to know what the rest of the letter said, there just seems to be a lot left out.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It most likely is legal, but I think there is a lot more to this situation than you are giving us. I wonder if you would mind giving us the name of the church? I would like a little more information on what you mean by "serve" and "only"

For instance I can take this letter to mean this will be the ONLY church that is going to SERVE the Hungarian population. I am getting ready to do a little research myself right now. By L.A. do you mean Los Angeles or do you mean Louisiana?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The bigger questions though should be is it moral, is it Christian, should this be condoned, and should this be reported to a higher authority

A question even bigger than your question is what is the reasoniing? How does she know this? Was this letter read by her or to her? Did her mother read the letter or was told by a person who told a person who did read the letter. If they are only serving the Hungarian population will the Latino population have to leave the church?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

If we are to take her question at face value, the people with the power are lower down the ladder. The congregation. The congregation will go to another Catholic Church or petion to have a new Latino Church built for them. Their tithes will go to the new church and the old church will open only when out of towners book a function.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2010