Please tell me whoever wrote this doesn't have children, and CERTAINTLY doesn't have strong-willed children....

In regards to tantrums: "Children, particularly pre-verbal ones, use their actions to express their emotions..... When children are punished for their behavior, the underlying emotion remains unaddressed. When we prevent the emotions from being expressed with a certain behavior, children have two options. [Suppress emotions, or act out disruptively]"

I'm not sure whether to laugh hysterically or puke!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• slapCertain emotions should be repressed. Like my urge to slap whoever wrote that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• ummmm wow and here i always thought my kids threw tantrums when they didnt get their way lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Lol...thats close to what someone left on a comment when I brought up my sons temper tantrums. I thought it was comical.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 2:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I will agree with them as far as that kids use their actions to express their emotions. That doesn't mean I'm not going to discipline my son when he throws a fit. I know very well he's expressing his anger, and I also know that I'm not going to tolerate it out of fear of leaving some emotion unaddressed. Like I said, I agree that they are trying to express an emotion, especially if they can't talk yet. But that's why we discipline them when they act inappropriately - to stop the inappropriate behavior and help them learn the proper way to express whatever emotion they are trying to express. If that person believes what they are saying, then her kids are going to be majorly out of control, and she'll be back on her crying about not being able to control them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Ummmm yeah, you try that with your kids lady and let me know how that goes. I got an extra bed when they start to kick your @#$

HAHA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It depends. Are they talking about just letting a child do as they choose because they are expressing themselves? Or does it go on to say that it is our job as parents to help teach our children how to express these feelings in a more appropriate way (that means without tantrums, hitting, and biting). It seems like there should be more to this blurb before I can make a judgment on it. I have read of people who just let their kids scream and kick and bite because they don't want to stop their self expression... I actually generally only see it on Wife Swap when a strict mom moves in!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I don't think tantrums should be acknowledged but I do agree that tantrums are a childs way of not knowing how to cope with anger etc. Acting out is normal. I don't think a time out is supressing their feeling. We call them "think about it's". I make them sit the required time, then go to them, ask if they can tell me why they are sitting there...ask what a better choice would have been, then move on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Riiiight... yes, please let's cater to tantrums at the risk of scarring our children. Let's forget that we're not doing them any favors as they will one day realize the world is not going to deal with that nonsense...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010