Breastfeeding and Thrush

My son and I went through a coarse of antifungals (oral for him, and cream for both of us) a few weeks ago, and yesterday I started having extreme pain when I nurse him! Then I noticed the same "yeasty" looking diaper rash on him, so I'm assuming we have thrush. My milk supply seems to have dropped down quite a bit, is this normal with thrush? Other than getting more prescriptions, is there any remedy for this? And any tips for relieving this extreme pain that I'm having? Thanks so much for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thrush is a very detailed subject. It shouldn't have anything to do with your supply. Most women that think they have decreased supply actually have plenty. This often happens at 6 weeks or other growth spurts.

http://www.kellymom.com/ has great info on thrush.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Get a powdered probiotic. Sprinkle it on your nipples before feeding (it is safe for the baby). After feeding, rub breast milk on your nipples, let them completely air dry, sprinkle on more probiotic.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• a disease, esp. in children, characterized by whitish spots and ulcers on the membranes of the mouth, fauces, etc., caused by a parasitic fungus, Candida albicans.
    that is a definition of thrush. sounds like he has a normal yeast infection/diaper rash, i would suggest using a yeast cream to get rid of it, anything you would use if you had a yeast infection should work just fine.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• ^^^ And, you could get gentian violet or grapeseed oil extract and paint your nipples with that. (You can put GV in the babies mouth too)

You can also put the probiotics in the babies diaper or put GV on babies bum. You can also put unsweeted yogurt in babies diaper to sooth the rash.. NO DIAPER CREAMS.
    Anonymous

• The best resource for treating thrush is: http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

There are over the counter remedies suggested there, in addition to prescription remedies.  Make sure you continue treatment for 2 weeks past the last symptoms!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010