what is expected from a SAHM?

I am considering doing this but my dh says the house has to be clean and dinner ready when he gets home... Uh! I can do that... What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oh - lol - I should add, my dh does tease me that I'm not so much a SAHM as a professional volunteer, but as a volunteer, it's easier to say I can't do this or that, or I can't be there on this day or that day, because there's something going on with one of the kids or with my dh or with the family as a whole. We joke that our family is like a ship - the Navy is the ocean that we float around on, he's the rudder, giving us our direction and steering us to interesting places, and I'm the hull, holding us together and keeping us safe from the storms.

I've enjoyed it, and it's worked for our family, but like I said, to each their own - every family has to find their own balance that works for them :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You considering being are a stay at home mom, not a housekeeper/cook. Being a SAHM is a big enough job, you don't have to do anything else. A husband can help with housekeeping and cooking or help can be hired.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I'm a SAHM, and have been since my kids were babies. They're teens now. I do most of the cooking (not all, my dh likes to cook sometimes, and I've been teaching both our kids to cook for yrs.) I do most of the cleaning - again, not all, because I am the mom, not the maid, and it's important for the kids to learn to pick up after themselves, and my dh isn't a slob.

Our kids are close together in age, so when they were little, there were times it was a lot harder to have the house clean all the time, or dinner always on the table when he came home sort of thing. Now that they're older, it's also hard, but for different reasons (dinner as a family is a priority in our house, and we have a lot of stuff going on in the evenings, so dinner time is flexible so we can all eat together).

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• cont

What it has meant for our family is that I have been able to be home so that I can go on the field trips, be the class mom, do the volunteer work with their schools, their clubs, our church, etc. I was home when they were sick, without having to worry about being able to get time off work. I was able to take the kids to the zoo, the park, the library, etc during the summer. My dh is military, so there are a lot of times he's been gone, and we don't live near family, but I'm there, able to go to the things that are going on, without having to worry about a job. I do a lot of cooking from scratch, because I have more time to do it. Now that they're getting older, I'm still involved, volunteering and etc, and I'm also able to be home to spend time with dh when he gets extra time off, or when the kids are gone, etc.

It's worked for us, but to each their own :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• LOL If my DH told me that i would ask him what day the maid would be starting on. I am not his maid or his cook, I do clean the house and cook for my family but i decide when dinner will be on the table and if it is an hour or 2 hours after he gets home so be it. My house is clean but there are days i am not home and i dont get to everything. the term SAHM is really misleading, many of us are not home we are off running kids here and there, running errands, helping at shcools. I think your DH needs to be realistic about what a SAHM is. I personally prefer the term family manager lol because that is what i do, I manage our family, the bills, the home, basically our lives. I am the one who keeps the schedule decides who does what chores and I am the one who makes sure the house and family run smoothly. It is lovely that your DH doesnt consider the millions of things you will be doing as a SAHM cont'd

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Such as diaper changes, feedings, cleaning up spills, toys, food messes, making daytime meals, playing with kids, dealing with meltdowns, playing ref between fighting toddlers, running things to school because someone forgot their homework, lunch money, etc. doing all that and trying to clean house , you find yourself in one room then pick up and item take it toanother room and get sidetracked picking up that room only to find another item head to that room adn get sidetracked again. I think your DH has no idea what goes on during the day with a child maybe he needs to ask the person who currently cares for your child what its like. In one worsd it is BUSY.
    3_ring_circus_