How long do you plan on breastfeeding?

I plan to up to 18 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The World Health Org recommends at least 2 years. If you want your child to get all the oral benefits you will have to nurse around 3 years. I think 3 years is a good minimum goal. I nursed 2 way beyond that.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I don't think breastfeeding is bad at all up to 2 or 3 yrs, I wish that people wouldn't judge breastfeeding mothers! I love the bond of breastfeeding. I feel close to my child, and know it's for a good benefit for a healthy lifestyle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• At least 2 years. I love breastfeeding, am amazed that my body can produce such an amazing product to sustain my baby and even help his immunity, plus so many other things. I was breastfed beyond three years myself, can't say that I'll do that with my son, but I will definitely have an earful for anyone who acts like there's something wrong with my BFing at least 2 years. And BTW, good for you for going at least 18 months, I know people who won't go more than 3.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I nursed my ds until he was 15 mos old, when he self weaned. ( I was pg with our dd, and he weaned just a few weeks before she was born, I think he didn't like the change in my milk...) I was willing to tandem nurse him if he had wanted to continue. I nursed our dd until she was over 2. I wanted to wean her around 2, but that yr was really hard on her. We moved a few months before her 2nd birthday, just as she was starting to wean, but with the move, she stepped up her nursing again. Then, once we settled in the new place and she was starting to wean again, just to move again, etc. We moved like 3 times (4 houses, 3 States, and 2 countries) in one yr, so by the end of it, when we got to the last place, I think in her mind, she associated not nursing with the turmoil of moving, so she didn't want to wean, and it took awhile. We tease that she would still be nursing if I had been willing (she turns 16 tomorrow, lol)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I should say though - that you need to do what's best for you and your baby. You might find when your little one is 18 mos that you are good with nursing longer. Or you might find that before then that you're ready to not nurse anymore. Don't have a hard and fast "this is it" sort of deadline, just let you, your baby, and what's right for you all be the guide :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son is almost 22 months and going strong. My minimum goal was 2 years, I think we may make it to 3. He has slowed down quite a bit, but he is consistent. I am hoping to allow him to self wean.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 6:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• At least 2 years
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• At least a year I am only at 5 weeks but have had a BF-ing hell and am pumping only right now due to medical reasons, I will go as long as I can cause I want my baby to have the best.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• At least 2 years. Love to see so many moms saying a year+!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• as long as nature intends me to.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2010