how to prevent my 3 month old from getting flat head syndrome??

I have a 3 month old baby boy and from the day he was born i have always laid him on his back and he always laid with his his back of his head on the surface of his bed, well about a week ago i noticed the back of his head was flat and the rest wasn't, no one ever told me there was such thing as flat head syndrome or that i was supposed to roatate him so now that i am trying it does not work cause he is so used to it he will maneuver his way to sleeping back on his head. What are some things i can do to prevent it from getting worse? I also heard there was a helmet that he could wear to bed that sounds kind of silly but im willing to try anything to prevent it from getting worse. If i was to ask my pedi for one would he give me one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had the same thing, they suggested the helmet and then also said that it will even itself out by the time he is 2, and you know what he is 3 and it did.i''m glad I decided against the helmet. they have to keep it on for 24 hours a day and only take it off when they take a shower. I did not want to do that to my son, to me that's tramatizing. I kept his hair long during those times and he looks perfect now. But to prevent it from getting worse put him on the side and then tuck blankets on the back of him so that he cannot roll on his back. That is what I did, and I also didn't know about it until my mom pointed it out. Just do your best to lay him on the side and don't worry it will even out. Just looks at the pictures of my Andre you will see. Don't worry.
    EricandAndreMom

Answer by EricandAndreMom at 3:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• maybe stop leaving him in his crib so much?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My child was the exact same way- always looking straight up and would never look to the sides. try to do alot of tummy time- change the positon of his crib so he can look at new things. my son is wearing a helmet- and in all honesty it isn't tramuatizing at all- he doesnt even know when i put it on his head. it only took 2 1/2 months for his head to pop out- i wouldnt want to take the risk of not using a helmet and waiting- who knows if it will pop out and how much? i take him out all the time and you wouldnt believe how many people have come up to tell me their child has had a helmet too. The doc says to wear it for 23 hrs a day, but the Orthotist (helmet guy) said 20+.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My daughter had torticollis which is a crooked neck syndrome. She developed a flat spot in the back/side of her head. The PT told us that it will usually round back out when the get off their back more like when they start crawling or rolling and it will take the pressure off that part of the head. I wouldnt worry about it just yet. Talk to your doctor at his 6 month appointment. My daughters head rounded out very nicely.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You have to rotate your children so they are not on their backs all the time. I placed my children on there sides and would switch from side to side every time I put them to bed. yes they also went on their backs but it was not every time I put them to bed so ya ROTATE!! also lots of tummy time when awake...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Lots of tummy time when he isn't sleeping and use a sling sometimes.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Lay him on his side and alternate each side every time you lay him down.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You don't need a helmet. They're expensive and unnecessary. Like the other moms have said, it'll round out to a normal shaped head. No worries.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Pick up your child.....It is kinds normal..but the more you hold your child the less of a flat spot they will have..I also used a slanted back sleep mat and my second baby doesnt even have a flat spot.I have 2 children 1 and 3.My life is busy even as a SAHM but that is not an excuse to leave your child laying around ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Put something interesting on the side of the crib when you lay him down so he can look at it. A mirror or bold picture. Put lost of rolled up towels behind his back so he will stay on his side. Everytime you lay him down, lay him on a different side or on his back. Give plenty of tummy time during the day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2010