Is this normal behavior in toddlers or could something be wrong?

My 18 mos old nephew gets extremely upset when he is around people, he throws huge tempertamtrums and has be removed from the room. He has been this way since he was about 7 mos. old. I don't know if it's lack of dicipline or something more.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 6:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually it may not be lack of discipline. My second oldest was the same way. We could not throw his birthday party in crowded areas that were loud because he would lose it. Scream and scream, it almost sounded as if he were physically hurting. We would have to remove him to someplace quieter and he would calm down. It wasnt until he was about 5 that he FINALLY stopped. Having him go to school was a big help. I talked to the teachers and explained his issue with groups and new faces. They transitioned him into the groups slowly.
    Just be patient with your nephew and his parents should do the same. Not every child likes being around new people and in loud places. It can be confusing and scary. Imagine being a little person and theres all this noise and people you dont know in your face saying things you cant understand its like RAWR RAWR RAWR. You just want it to stop...so he screams the throws tanturms. He'll grow out of it.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010