How long should u make your child sit on the potty at a time when potty training?

SO i started potty training today but im unsure of how long to let my daughter sit on the potty at a time. i tried ten minutes but i felt bad because she looked unhappy sitting there.

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 9:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's been awhile for me...my son is 10 now,lol. Haven't started potty training my 14 month old yet. But I do remember when I was training my son , I bought him a potty video with the book that goes with it and he would sit on his potty while he watched the video.He would get really excited about it and he would try doing what the boy on the video did,lol. He would stand up and look in the potty to see if anything was there yet and sit back down,lol. He potty trained fairly easy for me, I DO remember that. It was a blessing,lol. I've heard girls are even easier than boys. Good Luck mama!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i suggest doing this in the morning after she wakes up, her bladder should be full. you could try reading her a book or giving her a special "toilet toy" to make her excited about going potty. it will just happen and then you make a BIG deal about it!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would say no more than five minutes. Take her more often rather than having her sit long periods of time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I tried several methods that I read in books on how long to keep mine on the potty but I found that actually keeping track of the time didn't work for her. If I tried to make her sit on there for a certain amount of time she would get defiant and not want to do it. So instead I just found ways to distract her such as toys or reading a book. Then she usually ended up staying there until she went.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I let them go for 5-10 mins.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2010