How can I curb my appetite and stay on a diet?

I'm a complete fatso! At least 50 lbs overweight and just disgusting to look at. I want to lose weight by I’m addicted to food. The only time I was successful at losing weight was when I took Ephedrine.

I know I need to reduce my caloric intake and exercise, but what can I do to help curb my appetite?

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 10:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Health

• The only thing that worked for me was having the lap band surgery. Otherwise, regardless of what diet I tried, I was always starving. I would eat then 20 minutes later be hungry again. The surgery has finally fixed my issues with hunger.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Orionsgirl.............If you don't mind me asking, how many pounds overweight were you when you had the surgery?

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am not on a diet. I changed my entire eating happens. Instead of a something processed or high in calories heat up an apple with a bit of brown sugar. Simplier things aren't always in a box. I noticed counting my calories helped a lot. No matter how much I hated or avoided adding them at the end of the day I did it. Wear a calorie burner and see how many calories you burn a day. I look in the mirror or try on my 'skinny' clothes when I feel like giving up. You can do it! I also have 50 to loose and started last week. lost 3 lbs already! Do you need a buddy?
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 10:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I was about 100 pounds over weight. I have lost 85 so far. For lap band you need to be at least 50 pounds over weight. It's not as severe a surgery as bypass - no cutting of the stomach involved.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• have you tried going all natural with your foods? i find that when i go all natural i don't have to count calories. i also find working out to be great motivation to reduce junk food. you could munch on carrots, celery sticks and bell peppers all day long...so you still get to eat, you are nourishing your body, and the calories are almost 0.
    we have salads made with swiss chard, kale and spinach. it took a while to get used to eating such thick greens, and it takes a long time to eat a big salad too, but the nutritional benefits are so worth it!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I eat raw fruit and veggies when I have a craving(which is ALL the time.) I also keep healthy soups in the house for something different. Remember the greener the greens are, the better
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Have you considered nutritional cleansing? I lost 18 lbs last summer and have kept it off for almost 8 months now. I know others who have lost 50+ lbs following the same program. Message me if you want more info.
    mom2threets

Answer by mom2threets at 12:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• When you are hungry, try snacks that are low in carbs and high in protein (protein keeps you full longer). Things to try: string cheese and 6-8 crackers, peanut butter on an apple, 1/2 peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread, yogurt, even sugar free pudding! It's not about depriving yourself, just watching your food choices. Also, stay away from high carb foods (pasta, rice, potatoes, etc) - you can have them, just eat them in smaller portions.

Answer by missanc at 12:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Don't "diet".. Dieting even the word diet makes people feel like they are doing without. That they are having to (or forced to because of the "diet") to abstain from things they like and enjoy.

I lost over 100lbs.. I never "dieted".. I changed my lifestyle.. Changed the way I viewed food, ate food, why I ate the foods I did, and slowly changed the foods I ate.

One of the main reasons that "diets" do not work for many people. Is because they stick to a "diet" for a period of time, but when they stop the "Diet" they just go back to their old ways of viewing food/eating food and back to the types of foods that they ate before the diet. So, many just gain weight right back. And lots of people, actually gain back more than they lost. The yo yo affect is horrible on the body.

Change your lifestyle.. It works wonders :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Eat an apple before every meal. If you crave sweets, brush your teeth. Use lunch plates instead of larger plates. Only make the amount you want to eat or pack up leftovers immediately. Eat lots of protien and fiber. Don't deny yourself when you're hungry, but realize that you can sometimes mistake hunger for thirst, a need for comfort, or boredom. Take a minute to really figure out if you ARE hungry for food. Don't eat to "Thanksgiving" full. For exercise, target your stomach area. The tighter it feels, the less you will be able to eat. Make sure you limit your processed sugar and alcohol because they will trigger hunger.
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 8:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010