How would you have handled this? I left my toddler in his carseat this morning while I got gas....

This morning my 16 y/0 dd woke me up because she had missed her bus and needed a ride to school to avoid being late. I got up, threw clothes on my 22 month old son and we hopped in the car. On the way home I noticed the gas was on E so I stopped at a gas station to fill up. I reached for my purse to pay at the pump and found out I left my purse at home. I keep emergency cash in the car so I grabbed it, checked my son in his car seat (sleep), put the windows down partway (it's hot here), locked the doors and ran inside to pay. It took MAYBE 2 minutes because there was a person in line.

When I got back the woman who was fueling opposite me was standing with her arms crossed looking angry. She said "I watched your baby for you" really loudly. I said thank you and put my gas in. She just stood there watching. I finished and went to get in the car. She said "Some people don't deserve kids!" I just looked at her and left. WTH!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You should have taken the sleeping baby with you, she was right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well first, I would have never left my child in the car, not for a second. So many things can happen in 2 minutes. Car jacking, someone taking the child out of the car...although I don't agree with her outburst, I tend to agree with her feelings on the matter.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I maybe would have said the same thing..I mean..You dont leave children in the car..YOU just dont do it.I would have taken my child out of the car and then into the gas station...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I honestly would do that with my child if it was locked and i could see the car from the inside of the gas station. I would Never do it if it would be more than a minute or 2..like running into the grocery store for me would be a NO but gas stations are usually all glass and you can see your car...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You went inside for 2 minutes? You are very very lucky a kind stranger watched your baby. An unkind stranger could have taken your baby.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i try to avoid the situation by always keeping my debit card on me to pump gas, and trust me when i have cash it has crossed my mind a few times that it would be sooo much easier to leave my dd in the car, but ive never done it. Ive seen ladies take there newborns out of the carseat and walk into the gas station then bring the baby right back out, buckle them in, then pump gas. Well now you know for next time.
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 10:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have never left my DS (4 1/2) in the car alone... not for a second... it isn't worth the risk to me
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If the 16 yo was in the car? Then yes it was fine to leave the other one in there. If not you were in the wrong..sorry! Never leave your kids alone period. A 3 month old was recently taken here while the mom was in the post office. Cause the idiot left her keys in the ignition and the car running and the car was stolen with the child in the backseat. Sorry not validating you here. And no wasn't calling you a idiot.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• oh you could have gotten in serious trouble had the cops been called.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would have told her to shut the hell up--you locked to the doors and cracked the windows and the baby was asleep and it was two minutes!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010