At what age is a child considered an adult?

I would like info from someone who knows legaly. I have been told that as long as a child is a full time student,that the parent must by law help in support of that child. Can that be right? I live in Indiana. Are the laws different from state to state?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• 18.I think what you're referring to is when a kid is 18 and still finishing high school. That's a technical gray area.I live in WI,and when they're 18,you're no longer responsible for them.Of course,who's gonna throw out a kid thats finishing high school? i can't see you being responsible for someone who could literally be a college student for 10 yrs!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Are you talking about financial help for School? That only depends on your finances. Our oldest lived at home and went to college full time.We were not responsible because of the number of children we have, and the amount of money we make. She is responsible for her loan for college. We are not. While husbands brother is responsible for paying his daughters loan until she  graduates because she is the youngest and the only one at home and he makes much more then we do.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• http://www.wisegeek.com/at-what-age-is-someone-considered-a-legal-adult-in-the-us.htm

I would check out this site to get the bigger picture!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The laws can be different from state to state.
    Go to Indiana.gov.

A child is only under your insurance as long as they're enrolled full time in school and under the age of 25. One they turn 25 and/or not any longer enrolled full time in school then they cannot be covered. However, whether a child is an adult doesn't depend on age. It depends on when they mature and start acting like an adult. Technically under the law 18 is when a child is considered a legal adult. Except when it comes to marriage and emancipation, then 17 is the legal age in some states.

go to your local government website and see what the laws are for your area.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• you are financially responsible for them as far as college is concerned until they are 24.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My half sis is 23 and my dad is still paying 700.00 per month in child support. He said that as long as she is a full time student at the university he has to continue. I told him that he could not be held to that by law but has insisted. Weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I believe that legally after 18 they are no longer your legal responsibility but if they are in college they are your financial responsibility as far as college expenses go until they are 24. My younger 2 moved out at 18 and 19 and my younger 2 are graduating in May and 1 is 19 and off to the Army and the other is 18 and off to college. All are considered legal adults. If they committed a crime then THEY would be responsible for that, I would not be responsible for them or their actions.

Anonymous

• 21but i know people who are still getting money from divorced parents til they are 25
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Legally 18, financially it differs up to 25 I think, socially 26.
    Anonymous

• 18

As far as fiancially they can get student loans and pay for their own education.
    Anonymous