Does anyone else pretty much live paycheck to paycheck?

We are sadly, but thankfully we get all of our bills paid each month. We don't even have any "luxuries" aside from the internet, no cable fancy cell phones etc. What do you and your family do to save money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• yep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Hiding my face here and raising my hand,lol. We are a paycheck to paycheck family for sure.We don't even have enought to save money. But we are a happy bunch, and thats what makes it worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We do as well. We have fast speed internet and basic cable. The only reason we have basic cable is so we don't have to use the new Digital TV crap the local channels were forced to start using. Neither my husband or I have cell phones, we don't go out to eat except once a month, we have an old 1992 vehicle, and so on. My husband is laid off seasonally, as he works for a Screen Printing company. Therefore, we rely on unemployment from about Christmas to April-May. Either way we're not rich and definately don't live above our means.

We save money by buying groceries for two weeks. That goes for everything. We found that when we buy for two weeks we don't spend as much money in the long run.
    We also save money by conserving our energy. Not using the AC/Heat until it is absolutely needed. I prefer open windows in the summer anyhow. We also turn off lights, electronics when we're not using them.
    (Contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• (Contin)
    We also buy mostly store brand foods. Some things I prefer to be name brand, because of the quality. However, most items are the same quality whether store or name brand. We live buy the "If we don't need it, we don't need it." method when it comes to buy. Sometimes we do splurge on an item here or there, but that's usually just around tax refund time. Otherwise, we don't buy anything we don't need if we well .. don't need it. That saves us from ever coming up short on a paycheck.

We paid off our car in two years (it was only 2000), so we don't have that pain. We bought a house and we're actually paying less with a morgage then what we were paying in rent. That's even living in Rent Assisted housing. So we saved money there.

That's all that I can think of as far as how we save money.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Your knocking on my door there! I'm grateful we can pay the billls and still be able to save a little money.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I do. I can pay my bills, but, I do pay house phone, High speed internet, and prepaid cell phone. I am buying my house. I don't have any to save, but, I also don't feel like I don't have a life either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yep, we make 80 thousand a year and are still living paycheck to paycheck. Working on paying it off but it is slow going. I just use coupons and I have $50 a month taken out of my dhs check into an ING savings acct.so we have some emergency money. It was tough at first but we got used to the $25 less in that paycheck
    Anonymous

• We also live pay check to pay check for sure. We shop costco for most things, it seems to save us a ton. Basic TV and internet, we dont eat out at all. But we are happy so its all good.
    Anonymous

• yes for the most part, if we missed more than two we would probably be in a bad bad way. but we get by and we don't get any assistance. i am trying to get my son into head start though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This past week, we started a "budget" of sorts to help us keep track of bills. I wrote down the amount in our checkbook, then I subtracted all the bills and necessaries (groceries and gas). After that, we realized we would have a negative, so we had to rearrange a couple of bills.

It was all for nothing though. Apparently our car/renters insurance decided to charge us 200.00 extra this month, citing "policy changes." Not sure I understand that one (my husband is supposed to talk to them today), but we are going to try the budget thing again, either on the next paycheck or the one after.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010