How do/did you put your baby to sleep? need advice please!!

My son will be 11 months old on the 22nd. when he was about 6, 7 months or so, he used to go to bed on his own, i would take him bed, he would close his eyes, and go to sleep. well that doesnt happen anymore for a while now. sometimes i cant get him to go to bed until 1am, and when i do, hes either crying, or i have to rock him to bed for about 30-45 minutes.. unless he falls asleep while he eating his bottle, but that only occasionally happens. im starting to think about trying these different methods, not so much CIO, but the one where you sit on the chair next to the crib, & rub there head sometimes but dont pick them up.. i just want to break him from this habit before its too late, i cant rock him to bed forever yano? so any advice? what do you do?

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 11:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As you've already seen...no sleep pattern lasts forever. Do what works for now...what works will change soon enough and no, you won't be rocking him forever. Nothing lasts forever.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We did cio starting at around 4 mos. We did a modified version where you go in every 10 or 20 mins., rub their back and then leave without picking them up. It worked after 3 days.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I always just nursed my son to sleep. He wont need to be rocked forever, enjoy the time now.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• how sad :(

i nurse to sleep.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I rocked mine to sleep. Or we went to bed together because we co-slept.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Of course you can't rock him to sleep forever... He won't let you :D

I have always rocked mine to sleep until they were ready for me to stop doing it. Generally around 2.5. I enjoy that time with them. They won't be little for long and I can't think of anything that is more important that I need to be doing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We lied down with our son until we thought he was ready to go to sleep on his own. That was at 4 years old. It took 2 nights of whining and a lot of "go back to your bed" 's but he got it and now goes to sleep all on his own and he knows we didn't abandon him, unlike a baby who would wonder why his mommy isn't picking him up when he cries.

For our older daughter, she is 3 and she usually nurses to sleep or falls asleep with my husband and i on the couch.

My younger daughter either lays down and nurses with me and goes to sleep or just sleeps with me until I go to bed.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 11:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I've been pretty lucky. My youngest one is pretty happy to see her bed at the end of the day. The best advice I can give is get into a routine as early as possible. Set a bedtime (yes, even for a baby) and stick to it. I'm not against CIO but thankfully have only had to do it two or three times. As long as we stick to our bedtime routine, they anticipate that bedtime is coming and don't generally put up a fight. Routine was something I lacked severely with my oldest. She was entering preschool before she finally settled down for bed at a decent hour. With my second one I was much more prepared and started him on a bedtime routine from about 4 months.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We started a bedtime routine at around 2 weeks and never had to deal with any real problems. There were a few nights where he would fuss for a just a few minutes before he fell asleep, but they were few and far in between. He still has basically the same routine - bath, pjs, snack, brush teeth, 2 books, 1 song, then he lays down and goes to bed.

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i put on a lullaby cd and put it on repeat. then i nurse him to sleep. the cd helps because if i need to tidy up after he falls asleep then the little noise i make won't wake him. (he's 6 months now) the precious planet-nighty night world is really good, i like it to fall asleep too. the other one i have is seaside lullabies.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010