Son turing one and your husbands?

Does anyone have a husband that thinks his son turning one isnt a big deal? And likes to say that they wont remember it anyways? I think its a Very big deal. I want to do alot for him for his first bday. Yes he wont remember but he will ask what we did for it. We will remember. What did you do if you had a husband that acted this way and says we dont need to go all out for his bady. Sons bday is april 30th

Newmommys101

Asked by Newmommys101 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would be PISSED. my SO is very excited for our sons first bday. its on may 22nd. were having a big BBQ down at this nice big park that has a kiddy park, a big pavillion, picnic tables, right next to the water ... we rented out the pavillion. grilling, having everyone bring a dish. cakes. etc.
    you better tell him to stop being so selfish!
    either way, if he doesnt care .. then you take care of his first birthday.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• aww my dds 1st bday is this friday and party is this wknd and YES we are going all the way out on it! but unlike you me and my husband both agree its a big celebration. Yes she wont remember but i will and my video camera will catch everything so she can watch in the future! were throwing a Luau pool party!! i went waaay out on the invitaions and had someone take pics an make em for me and bought her a bathing suit with a straw skirt and were having catering and i rented out my community center with the pool and everything! im sooo excited! Celebrate and tell your husband he needs to have a little more spirit! Good luck! I know not everyonee will agree with me doing so much but idc.
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 11:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Every birthday is a big deal to me, I celebrate my son's birthday every year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i think it's a big deal but i don't think that means you have to "do" a lot. we had a party w/ family over and they brought gifts. and i made a cake from a box. lol. everyone has different traditions. you'll have to compromise if you are wanting to throw like a giant party and he wants a low key affair. gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I think it depends on what he means by not a big deal--I think it's important to spend the time together as a family celebrating and making memories. But I think that lots of families go way overboard on things like toys and gifts, and stressing out over making the biggest, fanciest cake, etc, and I agree with your husband that they're not gonna remember that. If you want to do it because it's important to you, great, but you can't get upset if those kinds of material things aren't important to him. I know in our family, money is tight and while birthdays are important to us, it's not worth going into debt over. We try to have a good time without spending a boatload of money. I would ask him why he feels this way.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well the not a big deal part is, HE wants to not spend alot yes I can agree to that. But he told his mom (my months in law) that they could have her yard sale that weekend, and I told them that this my sons day and they are not to do that they need to spend time with him. He dont want to do anything really for it has no plans other then maybe a cookout with family but thats like pulling teeth to get him to do. He just dont get it I guess no he wont remember but I will, our son will look back on this and ask what we did. THe pictures will show what we do. HE is just like blowing it off as just another day and not a special day. This is our first child you think he would be alittle more excited. My mom is buying all the food for the Cook out we dont even have to by that, I said I wanted to get him a present thats when he said why he wont remember it.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• He thinks our son has enough toys well he has alot. And that we dont need to get anymore. He has really no outside toys I wanted to get him son for his bady I dont think that so much to ask.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my dh was like that too. he did let me bake a cake. we have had pretty good parties ever since then. dh was like that about a nursery too...so we never really did a nursery up either!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• What a douche bag!!! You don't have to spend alot, but there should be a party for him at least. Take pictures and sing happy b-day to him and give him a cake to dig into.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010