should girls be more protected than boys?

I'm a first time mother to a beautiful baby boy. And I must admit I'm extremely protective. I just can't help it! My hubby thinks that I should give our son more "freedom" to just be a boy. However I'm prego with our daughter and he believes it's ok to be overprotective of our daughter when she arrives. It's been that way in my family as well. The girls were always protected and spoiled and the boys were always given a ton of freedom and taught to be tough and protect the girls at a young age. I don't think it's fair.

What's your opinion?

Ronique1989

Asked by Ronique1989 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't believe in that. I believe in treating them equally. Boys need protection and girls need freedom. LOL Kind of like my mom was asking because my son switched from drums in band to French Horn. She was like..Isn't that a girl instrument? I said, Musical instruments have GENDERS?!?!?! LOL She caught my drift. I prefer a somewhat gender neutral household. This isn't 1950 anymore. My son had cars and guns as well as dolls and a kitchen. Same would go for a girl.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i dont think its fair either. my daughter will be protected just as well as my son. My son is not going to be able to do things at an earlier age then my daughter will. everything will stay the same based on maturity levels as well. trust me, once your hubby sees that little girl he will never be able to tell her no or be tougher on her.
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 11:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Gender has nothing to do with protection or freedom in my eyes. Age is the only factor when deciding on how much protection and freedom a child gets.
    Anonymous