Mexican/Spanish food recipes

I LOVE Mexican food. My kids LOVE Spanish food.
However, where I grew up there were so many Mexican places around that I never had to learn to cook it myself :) But now I live in German/Dutch country and I miss my authentic mexican foods.
So... can anyone give me some quick, relatively simple recipes for any mexican or spanish dishes?
Thanks a bunch!

emhain

Asked by emhain at 11:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• oooo! I love this question because I just bought a small mexican recipe book,lol.
    If there is something in specific your looking for,let me know and I'll see if its in here for you.
    But heres one that we are going to be trying out later this week:
    Taco Casserole
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 bottle taco sauce
    3/4 cups water
    1 can fire-roasted diced green chiles
    1 packet taco seasoning mix
    1 pkg taco shells,divided and broken
    2 cups shredded cheddar chees,divided
    Toppings:Chopped tomatoes,chopped green bell pepper,sour cream
    oven:375, greas 11x7 baking dish
    Cook beef& onion in large skillet,drain
    Stir in taco sauce,water,chiles and seasoning mix,bring to boil.Reduce heat to low.Cook3-4 mins,stirring
    Layer half of broken taco shells on bottom of baking dish Cover with 1/2meat mixture,sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.Repeat layers.Bake 20-25 mins.Serve with toppings.
    Hope it
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My husband is from Guatemala so I make a ton of Hispanic foods. Do you need recipes for chicken, beef, ground beef, soups, fish, tacos, pork, etc what are you craving?
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Beef, ground beef or chicken, mostly. My husband refuses to eat soups or fish. I love ALL of it, so really anything is good. Thanks!
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• What's wrong with Dutch (and German) cuisine?!?! LOL J/K, I'm Dutch, living in the middle of Dutchville, I totally feel for you! The only good Mexican food I've found so far has gone out of business - and there's only one place left to try! Have fun experimenting with the info you've been given, cuz I haven't the patience to try yet!
    Anonymous

• You can use ground beef to make garnachas. Just buy some masa and make them into tiny tortillas and fry them until crispy. Then cook the ground beef with salt and drain the fat from it. Boil at least 2 tomatoes, a small onion and your fave hot pepper then blend it to make the sauce. Chop fresh onions really thin and squared and fresh cilantro. Take the tiny tortillas and top it with the ground beef, tomato sauce, onion and cilantro as well as shredded Mexican or Guatamalan cheese and you have garnachas. It goes great with spanish pickled jalapenos and carrots.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• A healthy steak meal is kinda like a stew. Season steak with tenderizer and cook it in a 3 inch pan then add freshly chopped tomatoes, onions and potatoes, 2 or 3 cups of water and let it simmer for twenty minutes and serve it over rice.... This dish is for four or five people. You all will be stretched out on the couch after this dish.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• For a chicken dish swap the steak for the chicken and be sure to add Sazon seasoning or you can have baked chicken in tomatillo sauce. They usually boil the chicken but I don't like the texture of the skin so I bake it. Season it with Mahler chicken seasoning and bake it. You can either buy the sauce or make it yourself by blending the tomatillos after they've been boiled and then simmering the chicken in the sauce. Make sure to use the juices from the boiled or baked chicken when blending the tomatillos. Do you like tamales cuz I have the recipe for potato, rice and corn meal tamales that are made with pork or chicken.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• PM me, and I can give you some recipes!! All I cook is Mexican food, and I can help!!
    dlc101077

Answer by dlc101077 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010