can i take a 5 month old to the library?

i know libraries are no noise zones, but can i take her if she's not crying?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 11:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess, but at 5 months that cry when they want and where they want. I wouldn't take a baby though, my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes but if she decides to cry it would be polite to take her outside and calm her down or leave.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i use to take my 6 month old why using the computer she was pretty good
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes you can I have always taken my kids in, they have a childrens area for a reason and that is because children of all ages are welcome. No one is going to make a fuss about your baby unless the crying is ongoing, just pick a time of day when you know baby is at their best and then go. I have been taking my kids for years, If I had stopped going because I had a baby then my older kids wouldnt have gotten to go.

The no noise is more of no loud talking yelling screaming playing around kind of noise, a baby crying for a minute or two is not something they will toss you out over. If baby cries for more than a minute or two then go outside till baby is calm or leave. Most libraries are tolerant of infants so you should be fine :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• weird, i thought i would get a lot of 'duh, why couldn't you do that?'s

interesting. i just want a book, i'm so bored when i nurse.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sure. i think it would be nice if you left if s/he started crying a lot though. i think my 2.5 year old is a lot louder at the library now than when he was a baby. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My MIL is a librarian and LOVES when people bring babies in. She is so happy that the baby is getting introduced the the world of reading/ learning at such a young age.
    I say go for it and keep going. I am sure your LO would love it if you stopped in the childrens section and took the time to read her a book too.
    Have fun!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have taken my son to the library since he was a week old--he loves it there and the librarian loves him. He learned from the beginning that he has to be quiet, and it's not like we camped out there--we go in, pick a handful of books, check out and leave. Of course if he started wailing, I would take him home, I don't want him to be miserable there!

I agree - "duh, why couldn't you do that?" LOL
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well, I am a Librarian (w/ a Master's degree in Library Science). I have been one for over 6 years and during that time worked at college and public libraries. If it is a public library, of course, go for it. Public libraries are no longer quiet fortresses. Nowadays they are more like community centers with story time, workshops, even gaming for teens. If you're talking an academic or special library (medical library, law library) than of course not! When I worked at a county library, I seriously saw babies in there no older than a week or two. It's a great place for moms to go.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I took my baby all the time. They actually had a "lapsit" time each week for babies up to walkers where they would do short songs, little rhymes, finger plays, etc. and then had a short social time where the kids could "play" on a large blanket with some toys. It was a great place to meet some other moms!

Answer by missanc at 11:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2010