Sibling love - not really:( Do your kids get along - how do you help?

I have three kids - two boys (9&7) and a 3 year old girl. The boys are so, so good with their sister - that said - they drive each other crazy - my 7yr old is sensitive and my nine year old isn't so much - they bicker and disagree about almost everything and they are driving me crazy - I don't know what to do to help them get along??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I make my kids hold hands and face eachother and every 10 mins they have to say," I love you(name)" for 30 mins. They hate it and it cut down on the fighting A LOT! Even made em do it outside infront of everyone while I worked on the yard. Works like a charm and embarressing :) They think twice now about fighting.. BTW, my kids are 12 and 9.
    sunnieday

Answer by sunnieday at 11:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my boys are 12 and 9 my daughter is 5, mostly its the 9y/o and 5 y/o who fight lol and I really think its because they are both the "baby" of the family. My boys get along really well and when they do fight normally they work it out without my input, my DD on the other hand is still getting the hang of not over reacting about everything.

I know they love each other I hear them say it often, if one is sick or gets hurt the others are always around to help take care of their sibling. My oldest gave up a soccer game to attend his sister's ballet recital because in his words "she sits at soccer for me so i owe it to her to be there".

we have always taught them that their siblings are their friends and will be the people that will always be in their life, they have come to rely on each other and have an amazing bond. I think it starts from the moment you have that second baby and how the older one is taught to deal with it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i am not close with my siblings, so this is and always has been a concern of mine too. my kids are pretty young right now, but i do tell them that for the rest of their lives they will have and need each other.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have a brother 8 yrs older and a sister 6 years older....all my childhood they were close and pushed me away and my sister was just not very nice to me. I was more a toy for them to torment, lol. But now that we are all adults we get along fine.
    funny thing about life is I had 3 kids in 6 years, to be sure they would be close...it backfired!
    My oldest is 23 and the other 2 are 17 & 18. The teenagers are close but the 23 yr old is very jealous and envious of her siblings. it is to the point where my 23 yr old is in therapy.
    All my mom ever has said ....is "act like you love each other". I really never understood how that was supposed to work, lol.
    Anonymous

• I have 3 boys, ages 6, nearly 4, and 2.

They have moments they are absolutely adorable together and help one another and all that. Then moments they make me want to duct tape them to their beds just so they wont bug one another and cause the screaming LOL. Thats when they get seperated and each are talked to about what went down and how to stop. If time out is needed then so be it.

I think thats just being siblings. I didnt always get along with my sisters but as we got older things simmered down and I expect the same with my sons. If not Ill go from there with whatever is going on at the time, cant really predict my actions right now.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2010