9 yr old/constipation

My daughter is 9 and has had stomach issues and won't eat. Finally the dr did an xray. I don't want to be gross but he dr said she was majorly backed up! Like she hasn't went #2 in a while! So I gave her a childrens laxative (I gave the minimum dose) twice and she still will not go. What should I try? I don't want to do an enema because I had a horrible experience with one as a child and I don't want to scar her for life. She is a very sensitive child. Crys at the smallest discomfort. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Did you try prunes? How about a suppository? They always work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My 10 year old son goes through constipation issuues from time to time..to the point that he has been sent home from school for stomach pains, poor guy. What works for us is, I buy a bottle of prune juice and bottle of either apple or pear juice. I make a big jug of half prune half apple or pear and ice and I shake it up real well. And I have him sip on it all day until its gone. I continue to make it every day until we make some pregress and to maintain, I give it to him about once every couple weeks.
    Hope she feels better soon!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If it is hard and majorly compacted it is going to really hurt when it comes out unless you break it up somehow. I would go with the enema. Be gentle and explain the reason for her needing one. I would assume that if you keep giving her laxatives it is just going to cause her more discomfort because it will not soften the hard stool, it will cause it to push out faster. Which might cause a huge stool coming out all at once and it might injure her rectum. It is much safer imo give the enema.

What did the doc recommend you do?

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Op the dr said the laxitive and then a stool softener for a while but maybe she needs the stool softener first. I know she has avoided going the bathroom in the past because it hurts. Probably how she got this way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Op btw she has kept getting send home from school too for months and we are just figuring this out so I think she has had problems for a long time now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Try a probiotic like AlignGI or Sustenax. The bacteria will help breakdown the stool. The other thing that you can do is give her mineral oil. The body doesn't digest it so it will run right through & "lube the chute". You can buy it in the pharmacy section. A heating pad across the tummy will ease her discomfort.

Once she is cleaned out either give her Benefiber every day or a probiotic every day.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son has incopresis (sp?) and he is totally blocked up to the point that they can feel it when they push on his belly. We have tried EVERYTHING and the thing we got the best results with was Magnesium Citrate. Its NASTY but I gave him 4 oz (he is 38 pounds) twice a day and after the 3rd dose, he cleared himself out. We have to do this every other weekend plus he gets 2 oz a day for maintence.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Another vote or magnesium citrate. I use the Natural Calm You can mix it with juice and you can't even taste it.  My VERY picky son will drink it.

Also, have her sit on the potty and try after every meal until she starts going every day, or almost every day.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I feel for you. My son last year (then 8) had impactation. Luckily you've caught it before the seepage part (sorry if that gross). My son was so impacted from holding it that his muscles didnt respond anymore and he would have seepage. Very mortifying for him when it happened in school. The doctor recommended and enema and 3 months of miralax once a day. The enema seemed to do the trick. Yes, it was pretty traumatic for both him and I, but sometimes we have to do things we dont want to for the sake of our childrens health. I equate it to holding them down when they're little to take medicine. Its in their best interest.

I also agree with a pp that id shes that impacted, no matter what form of laxative you use, its still going to hurt like hell coming out from being backed up...a suppository or enema would help greatly to break things up and make it less painful.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 3:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Magnesium. My DD had the same problem for years; our mainstream pediatrician could offer nothing but the usual (more fiber/fruits/vegetable, more water, blah, blah, blah). DD already devoured fruits and veggies like they were candy and she drank nothing but water. Our DAN doctor prescribed magnesium and it worked like a charm. For the first few weeks, I could not believe how much came out of her little body. We still keep her on a maintenance dose; she's been problem-free ever since.
    Anonymous