Should I apply for Food stamps, cash assistance

Okay, my husband is in the military, a lower enlisted soldier, and we are having a hard time. After paying our bills, we barely have enough to eat, and I am scraping by. We have one daughter, a baby. I do not work, I do stay home with the baby. I have not finished my college degree. I have looked into getting a job, but this area is a military town, and added in daycare costs, and we only have one car, we would have to buy another, there is no adequate bus service. Should I apply? I have not been irresponsible with money, the money I had scraped together, had to be used for car repairs. I have alot of mixed feelings over this myself, and have cut costs as much as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you are having a hard time feeding your baby, then it is your duty to do whatever it takes. You and hubby can eat beans and rice, rice and beans but the baby has to have what she has to have.
    Hoepfully you might have the attitude that this will be a temporary thing and maybe youwill even go back to school. You could get a grant most likely and they have night, weekend and online courses. You seem to realize you cannot live for long without changing your situation. Good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes, of course. That is what it is there for.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You should apply if you want to. You would probably qualify. However, I know that in my state if you apply for cash assistance, they make you file for child support..wether you are married or not, wether you live together or not. I know, its really stupid but thats the way it is here. You can always just apply for foodstamps if that is the case where you live too.
    Anonymous

• here in mi, if you apply for cash assistance, you have to find a job or volunteer in order to remain eligible
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• im in MA and if your married they just go by the joint income, if your single you have to have child support proof. we were the same way, we could just about pay all the bills and had nothing left for food, so i applied for just the food stamps and it is such a huge help
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You should GET A JOB. If the military isn't a high paying profession and you all have to live off of welfare, then GO GET A JOB. I think military wives should be forced to get jobs and not be allowed to stay at home. That is a BIG WASTE OF TAX PAYER's MONEY!!!
    Anonymous

• if you qualify & need it then yes sign up until you no longer need them.. never feel bad about asking for help
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• anonymous 12:11pm your rude.. with the daycare costs & having to get another car she would be working only to pay for daycare & car payments..duh.. its our jobs as Americans to support our troops & their families.. they put their lives on the line for us.. OP have you thought of baby sitting in your home for extra money? just a thought.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the answers so far. I do appreciate them. I have thought about babysitting but we live in a small apartment, and it is against the terms of our lease. I have cut alot of corners, and have even pawned things to help out. I have to say I do feel like a failure. My husband and I do try our best. He works, and with the military the hours are not set. He has the car during the day, he has to to drive around the post for his job. I thought about cutting our cell phone bill, we dont have a house phone, but he needs his cell for work, I thought about maybe cutting the minutes, but his superiors call and text during the day, and believe me he gets texts in the middle of the night about formation time changes. I only have internet, also for his job.Getting a job as a military wife is hard. I have an associates degree but I didnt finish my bachelors. His job is very unpredictable, employers do not want to hire wives.
    Anonymous

• I believe daycare costs would be more reasonable in cost on post than civilian world. It goes according to rank.

Another thing employers will not ask question about your husband employment status.

Anonymous