Is this a phase or something else?

Has anyone had a child that always wares shoes suddleny hate them? My son has lots of diffrent type shoes. He is walking now and is outside alot he loves it outside, I really dont want him wondering around in just his socks dont want him to step on a bee or soemthing and hurt his foot,. But he hates shoes hate putting them on fights and screams the whole time and kicks and tries to get away from them. Onces they are on he dont mind them. Is this normal for a child? if so what did you do to help make it better for yours to get their shoes put on? He will be one on the 30th of April.

Newmommys101

Asked by Newmommys101 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yep, my ds went though that phase too
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my son will have moments of that....alot of times it take him 10 mins just to get his shoes on cause i have to wait till he is ready but i sit down holding his shoes and keep asking if he wants his shoes on yet...eventually he will come to get his shoes on but he is 21 months
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Just keep putting them on him, try and distract him with something else when you are putting them on. My oldest son did a lot better when we got him the shoes with lights on them, then he liked wearing them. Make it fun. And don't give up, when he gets the hint that he isnt going to win this one, he will stop fighting you. Thus is life with a toddler, lol. And when he has time to not wear shoes, and it is safe to do so, pick your battles. Letting him have his freedom when it is okay will help when he doesnt have a choice.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• LOL, yep its a phase. It takes too much time away from thier fun time to get shoes put on, ma,lol.
    I would try to give him a toy or something to distract him while ou are getting them on.
    For us, my daughter associates getting to go outside with putting her shoes on, so she will go get them for me to put on her when its time to go outside or anywhere else.
    She's 14 months..now my son...he was the one to give me a hard time from time to time about the shoes. Maybe its a boy thing,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We're from Ky. We hate shoes. I never made my children wear them unless we went out in public.
    Anonymous

• What does being from Kentucky have to do with shoes? Are you insinuating that you're hillbillies or something?

Anonymous