Military bases?

So, I never realized until I came to this site anything about food stamps, PA, etc. Nor, did I realize it's so rampant on the military bases. I never heard my friends ask each other HOW to get FS or HOW to get PA. Why here? Is it fair that men work in the military while their wives are pregnant all the time, having children they can't afford AND don't work, but rather stay at home and receive welfare??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I too have often wondered this. You see so much of it here on Cafemom. Why? If you go into the military, I am assuming you know why. You need to plan for your life. You need to put OFF having children until you CAN afford it. Wives need to work to HELP support their husband's plan. Welfare in itself is a pain in my butt. I never got it. I never needed it. I was a single mom of two. I worked my butt off. So should they. I don't buy into all that stuff about because people don't want to train military wives. That's BS and a COPOUT. So? My father was in the military. But you know what? They never went on welfare Times are tough, times are hard... here's your freakin card. Get a life. Get a job!
    Anonymous

• Oh wow, Is it fair that the very men and women who keep us safe are paid so little. Not many jobs are as dangerous and likely to lead to death as the role of a soldier in combat. Even if they are not engaged now there is always the possibility that they could be sent on a moments notice.
    And just why should a wife of a soldier not be able to stay at home and raise their child? People in the private sector do it all the time. Why are you picking on the military wives? This happens every where but all goes back to the fact our military is paid like crap.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Or how about how hard it is to find a job when you MOVE EVERY 2-3 YEARS! You try finding someone willing to put in the money to train someone when they don't know how long they will even be with the company.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I knid of agree...it happens everywhere not just on military bases....however theyre are probably other factors to include because once my fiance graduates college in may (during times of leave) we wont be able for any assistance because we'll make too much moeny for a family of 3...no granite he will be an officer so a bit more pay but they deffinitely arent paid enough
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Oh wow, Is it fair that the very men and women who keep us safe are paid so little. Not many jobs are as dangerous

Police officers in many areas are just s dangerous, they get paid less, no free housing or free health care

Anonymous

• The reason that military families get WIC and food stamps and the like is because 1) the military pay is really not all that good, especially considering our soldiers are putting their LIVES on the line for your freedoms. 2) It's very hard to find a good job as a military spouse, one that covers childcare and expenses. Most places don't -really- want to invest time and money to train someone who is going to have to up and move within a few years at most. I'm a military wife and when we first moved to this duty station, we were on WIC, and I stay home with our 2 children. It would cost more in childcare than I could make. My husband got promoted and we no longer qualified for WIC, but with the extra money we don't really need it anymore. I plan on going to school once we are at our next duty station and hopefully becoming a midwife, though again, every time we move, I will have to start over wherever we are. It's not easy.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 1:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Op, These men and women who are serving are WORKING a job that ,with time and service will have them off WIC, etc. There IS an end in sight for WIC, etc.. for military families. The military like many other who need a TEMPORARY help up, don't look at WIC, etc as a perm. entitlement solution. Just like other situations where WIC/PA is needed, this is one of them. They aren't absuing the system, they have made a commitment to the US military after they move up the ranks a few grades, they will no longer need WIC/PA.Would it be nice if they waited till they could afford chidren without assistance? Yes. But just like civillians, you can't mandate that. The military no longer accepts single parents to enter. Married couples with children? yup.
    It is VERY difficult to be married in the military. Having to move every 18 months to 3 years. Trying establishing a professional relationship in 12 months, move and do it again..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Try applying for a job as a military spouse. It is very difficult. Try working retail/restaurant/nontraditional 9-5 job when your spouse is deployed and childcare closes at 6pm. My husband and I have been a military family for a very long time... While we waited to have kids till we could afford to raise our family, we can't expect all couples to do the same. At least with the military, those serving who have families and are in need of assistance, KNOW the assistance is temporary till their solider moves up the ranks. The young military families who are in need show the TEMPORARY benefits of WIC/PA to help a new young family as they work their way up serving the US Military....jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Police officers in many areas are just s dangerous, they get paid less, no free housing or free health care

Then bring that up with your city/state/county... The Federal Government does NOT handle benefits/assistance for local law enforcement.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Trying to find a more updated study. But I have an article (hardcopy, not online from the Global Policy Forum) that says over 25% of the US military in 2005 was below the national poverty level...

Op, would you rather people NOT join the military and the numbers drop drastically to the point the US Government would have to start a draft/mandatory service program?

Or would you rather military enlisted be paid more?  What is your goal here?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2010