Guilty of Sedition?

Do you know what Sedition is? ( incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority) Are Rush, Hannity and the Tea Partiers guilty of this or are they just using their god given right to free speech?
If you think so was it wrong when the left used it against Bush?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority"

Is there any way we can spell this out for slow folks like myself? Too many big words to understand...LOL!

Is there an easier definition to understand?

Anonymous

• se·di·tion (sÄ­-dÄ­sh'É™n)
    n.
    1. Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state.
    2. Insurrection; rebellion.

or from legal dictionary:

the crime of creating a revolt, disturbance, or violence against lawful civil authority with the intent to cause its overthrow or destruction

or from cultural dictionary:

Acts that incite rebellion or civil disorder against an established government.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that Michelle Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and others are simply exercising their Constitutional rights to free speech and assembly. They are NOT calling for an armed revolt, or overthrow of the government. They are pointing out what THEY feel is wrong, and explaining WHY, and asking Americans to use the power of the VOTE!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They are NOT calling for an armed revolt,

In some cases, they were. The man with the poster with the quote about the BLOOD ....Michelle Bachman did call for a bloody revolution....The tea party itself has not said that was their agenda as I understand it. Although the OK chapter that wanted to start its own militia said they would do so to directly respond to laws made by our current president...and that is not what the legal militia's are for....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The left is ignoring The Constitution.
    How are you "lawful", if you're ignoring The Constitution?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• "I think that Michelle Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and others are simply exercising their Constitutional rights to free speech and assembly. They are NOT calling for an armed revolt, or overthrow of the government. They are pointing out what THEY feel is wrong, and explaining WHY, and asking Americans to use the power of the VOTE!!"

I agree!!!!!
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• mustbeGrace.
    So does right. Start with the Amendment I.Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.....
    Do you understand ?
    Anonymous

• I don't think its neccessarily insurrection. Though I think Beck , Backmann and Rush walk that fine line. When Palin told her supporters to stop and harrass people with Obama stickers on their cars I took mine off. I'd stand up to that if it was just me but my son sits in the backseat almost all the time I'm in the car. I was fearful of something happening then yes.
    The biggest problem I see with these pundits though is that they don't deal with facts. They fabricate everything. And if you have to lie to support your ideals then you should examine your ideals!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 3:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• anon :32 What does freedom of religion have to do with the question? The end part of this amendment states that Congress shall make no law.....abridging....the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. What are those who are speaking out doing that does not comply with this right?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• So, the left can't take what they dish out...........I see.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They fabricate everything. And if you have to lie to support your ideals then you should examine your ideals!

-------

rolling on floor

The RIGHT lies about everything????  Funniest thing I've heard in a looong time!!   Thanks for the laugh!!! 

Have you not been listening?  Do you remember these  -- Not one dime of taxes will be raised on those making less than $250,000.  Jobs are my #1 priority from here on out.  Oh, and what about all that transparency, and going through the budget line by line and getting rid of things/programs that don't work.  And what about that little thing that "apparently got snuck in" while O wasn't looking, something about if you like what you have now, you can keep it. 

That is just a few examples.  [cont]

29again

Answer by 29again at 3:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010