puppy eating his own poop please help!

Ok so we got a puppy about a month ago he is about 13 weeks old now. He is a great puppy is almost every way. He is so good with our son. They love each other very much. Ok the only problem we have with him is that he likes to eat his own poop. We have switched his food a couple times thinking that he wasn't getting what he needs in the other kinds. That's didn't work. So we got these chewable pills that are suppose to help him break the poo eating habit. No luck. So has anyone had a dog or pup that has done this? What did you do to help them stop. He is a chiwiwa mix. I just don't want him eating poo he and my son are alwalts playing and I don't want to have to worry about puppy giving him kisses. Any advice will help. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I heard this has something to do with getting the right bacteria in their intestines. That its instinctual and they will often eat their moms poop. Gross though. I think the only thing you can do is pick it up right away.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Actually, when puppies eat their own poop it often indicates they are not getting enough food or the right kind of food.

If you are feeding him a brand that is filled with fillers i.e. Ol Roy, Purina (doesn't matter what kind it is, if its Purina its shit food) Kibbles N Bits or any other grocery store brand, he isn't getting enough of the right kinds of nutrients and vitamins he needs.

Growing puppies need lots of proper vitamins and nutrients in their foods. Go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and look at some good foods.

If you are feeding him a good diet, it might be a good idea to take him to a vet to see if he is having some issues digesting his foods.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Dogs eat their own poop. If it smells good to them, they eat it. It happens. Has nothing to do with nutrition. You can buy pills for it at your local pet store. the pills change the smell of their poop so they don't eat it. Most dogs will grow out of it though.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Dogs eat what smells good. It has nothing to do with nutrition (or lack of nutrition). Dogs are opportunistic by nature. In fact many high fat foods (especially if they are low carb/low fiber) can lead to even more copraphagia (poop eating) because they go through the tract faster and therefore there is less time to digest it and it leads to super yummy poop - to a dog anyway - because it tastes just like their food. This is a main reason dogs like cat poop (that and the higher protein content of the poop).

Give your dog either For-Bid (available at your vet's) or meat tenderizer. Sprinkle it on the food every day. This will make the poop taste bad. Most dogs only need to be treated for 3-5 days, but some require 2 or 3 series of treatments to kick the habit. Also, treat any other animals whose poop is getting eaten. Try to clean up the poop as soon as possible too to avoid the opportunity for your pup. Good luck.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I am a vet tech and NO its not a food issues. Its a learned behavior that they see from their mom as a pup and they do it.
    To stop this you can give them a teaspoon of meat tenderiser in their food and it should make him not want to eat his feces.
    Second of all clean his feces up as soon as he goes so that he can't eat it.
    There is no medical issue with him and his food isnt the issue!
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I must be one of the very few people whose dogs didn't eat their poop.

I have always heard (yes, even from vet techs who don't pretend) that a dog eats his poop because he isn't getting enough nutrients from his food. I have always fed my dogs a high quality food and I have never once had a dog eat his poop. You would think that poop from a dog that isn't eating crap food would smell better.

I suppose we have given the OP some differing opinions and an opportunity to do some research.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2010