Should bullying be considered a crime?/What is the "right" punishment for bullies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My child was in therapy for two years after being bullied in KINDERGARTEN. For those who think bulling is just a "bratty" child have not had a child who was hit slapped and pinched to the point bruises formed. Clothes that were torn, cut and marked on. All this done by one child to my little girl who had a speech problem. It is not just kids being kids, it's something that needs to be nipped in the bud before it starts and yes the parents should be legally responsible.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes and I think community service and helping others out as well as attending intervention and anger management classes classes on how to treat people. It depends on the age as well as where the bullying happened.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• When I was in school there was this thing the teacher did with us and it really put things into perspective and should be done in every class room, every fews years so kids don't forget.
    We sat in a big circle and everyone had a chance to wear a pair of ugly glasses....the one with the glasses had to sit and endure being picked on by everyone else. Kids thought it was funny until it was their turn. It really helped others to realize it is no fun to be called names and picked on.
    I think parents should be held accountable once they have been notified that their kid is being mean.
    Anonymous

• I think it is too slipper a slope. I have read posts on here about what people consider bulling and I just consider them weak. Please.... my kids were taught to stand up to crap like that. Yes it happened, yes my kids cried... but we didnt make a huge deal out of it we taught them to stand up for themselves. And it STOPED!

Yes, there are somethings that I would consider wrong... but in too many instances we are just dealing with bratty kids. It is way too slippery a slope to go down legally.

Anonymous

• Bullying--constant, insidious and vicious bullying SHOULD be a crime. I went through it in Jr. High... I remember hearing from the PRINCIPAL "Oh well, boys will be boys". I was pushed down stairs, I had my clothing ripped. I had marks from my bra straps being snapped viciously. I had people write "whore" and "hooker" in my yearbook. But "that's just how kids are". I used to cut my arms and hide it from my parents. Wrap things around my neck and pull til I pretty much passed out. Anything I could do to hurt myself. Because obviously I was weak and overreacting, according to the school, right? And IMO, schools need to be held responsible too.

Reacting to bullying is NOT a sign of weakness. And yes, words can hurt, no matter how much we like to pretend they can't. Maybe we need to teach our kids to be more empathetic to others instead of telling them to suck it up and calling it weakness.
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 1:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well in the adult world, being bullied (hit, pushed, screamed at, cussed, etc.) is considered assault or battery, or both....right?

Seems pretty simple. You assault someone, you get punished accordingly.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• anon :49 Bullies start off as "brats". A bratty kid will not stop being a brat just because they feel like it. I think that there is a difference in a bratty kid, and a bully-in-the-making. This is behavior that parents *should* be aware of and control in their children before it becomes a bigger problem. And I believe that up to a point, parents should be held responsible to correct inappropriate behavior from their children. Having said that, I also believe that there are those children (pre-teen as well as teen) who just will NOT be helped, no matter what you do. Those kids should be prosecuted somehow, as long as the parents can demonstrate that they have done everything possible to correct their children.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• There is a part of me that thinks this could go too far, but a bigger part of me thinks that yes it should be a crime. When it starting happening to my son i was very involved and on top of things and went into the school to deal with the problems. I found it varies from school to school how the issue is dealt with. our last school just ignored it, our current school has a no tolerance policy and it works, kids who bully get counseling.

The sad part is that a good percentage of bully's are acting out at school because of their home life and the other percentage are kids who feel they are superior to others and typically have parents who also feel they are above others. Curing the problem starts with parenting, I think parents should of bully's should have to attend parenting classes and counseling with their children. I think community serivce could be a humbling experience for both parent and child.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

Bullying is far more than that - it's psychological warfare. Some of the kids who end up suicidal are never physically touched. Instead they are tortured daily in person at school, through notes left in their locker, and these days via cell and internet. A few motivated mean girls can do more damage with a text than some brainless jock can do with a fist, and in less time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with NP. For all those parents that instruct their children to kick, ass, take no crap, take names-how do you teach your children to combat what NP described.  With the Push of a button - multiple threats, targets and a deluge of info and caustic thoughts/messages are spread.

It's a whole new world-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010