What is it like going from 1 to 2 kids?

We will be having a 2nd child in Dec and I'm a little worried about taking care of 2..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kinda like going from barely controlled chaos to complete chaos :)
    Seriously, a lot will depend on how far apart in age they are. Mine are 6 years apart. And the second was easier because her big sis was old enopugh to want to help... and actually BE helpful! They don't fight over stuff because they aren't into the same stuff. They get along pretty well too.
    If they're closer in age I wouldn't know too much about that. But I can tell you from watching other moms that it's not exactly twice the work. It's kinda like you're already doing all the work anyway, there's just a bit more of it.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 12:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I hear ya.. I have a 22 month old, she will be 2 6/15 my due date for my second is 6/26. I try not to think about how hard it will be. I think this time around I will have no problem asking for help:)
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I honestly never had a problem with it. My dd loves being a big sister and always is playing with her sister. I never had any jealousy what so ever. You just have to learn how to manage your time between kids! But then again my dd was 4 months shy of being 4 years old, so she had the center stage for quite a while!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• exhausting at first.... but well worth it!!! My kids are now 3 & 5 and they are the best of friends (most of the time), which makes life much easier not having to entertain them all the time! ;o)

The worst of it was not being able to nap or rest as much as with #1. But the up side was I didn't feel so "alone" with baby #2 b/c my daughter was 2 and 4 months and kept me "company"! Also you have a better idea of what your doing with the second baby, so things are as stressful. You'll be fine Mom!! I love having the 2 kids!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• *** Aren't as stressfull**** I meant to type!!! LOL
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• In some ways it gets harder (meeting everyones needs). In some ways it gets easier (They can play together and entertain each other - yay!!). Somehow you manage and it all works out for the best. They will fight, they will play, it's well worth it. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I think it really depends on how old #1 is. My first was already 5 when her little brother was born. She was big enough to understand that the baby needed more attention, and that didn't mean we loved her less because we had less time for her. It also helps that she sleeps like a rock, so his noisy nights didn't phase her a bit. It was a fairly smooth transition, and now 5 years later (well almost) they play together all the time. It's pretty nice!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010