im having second child, how to tell my 4 year old?

MsSmirnov

Asked by MsSmirnov at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just say it. "mommy and daddy are having a baby, so you are going to have a little brother or sister in x amount of months. It might bring on alittle shock and anger...or it could bring on happiness. Either way he will grow used to it and be happy when the day comes. Both my boys were happy when I had my third, they really liked talking about mommy having a baby in here belly and trying to feel and listen to the baby. My first was almost 10 months old when I had my second...so he wasn't old enough to know what was going on, and adding another baby to the house didn't seem to bother him at all.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Try to make the idea exciting for him and try to include him in as many things during your pregnancy as you can. Take him to an appointment or two so he can hear the heartbeat or see the sonogram. Let him help you decorate the baby's room or pick out toys and clothes and things like that. Ask his opinion on the names you are considering. Just make sure he feels a part of everything, make him feel important and like his opinion matters with everything so that he feels like the family is being added to not like he is being replaced and you shouldn't have any problem!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 1:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second and we have a 4 year old as well. We told him "guess what mommy has in her belly?" and he guessed "a sandwhich?" LOL! We then told him "Mommy has a baby brother or sister in her belly" and his reply was "Wow! When is he coming out of there?" LOL! We told him it will be a while. He loves the idea of being a big brother. We ask him if he wants a baby brother or sister and he says Both. We are taking him with us to our first doctors appointment on Thursday so he can hear the baby's heartbeat and see the ultrasound. He LOVES telling everyone he's going to be a big brother. When we find out what we're having I'm going to have him help me pick out a toy for the baby that he can bring to it in the hospital and I want him to help me decorate and prepare for the baby. He talks about the baby in my belly all the time and likes to give my belly hugs. Just make sure you involve him!
    Anonymous