Are there any over the counter meds for depression?

Has anyone found them helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Health

• st john s wort
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You might go to GNC and see if there are any natural supplements you can take. I'm sure there is something. They have a whole book that tells you how to treat certain symptoms. Also, excercise releases endorphins, so it's also a good option.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• exercise
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Try finding 5-HTP, or Tyrptophan, and St Johns Wort, like the PP said. Kava can be used as an anti anxiety if that's part of your problem, but I'd try the other things first.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 1:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sunshine
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Sam-E it's by all the other suppliments
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• First you need to figure out what KIND of depression you have. Is it something long-standing, like a chemical imbalance or is it something situational, like losing a family member? Have your vitamin levels checked. If that proves nothing, try exercise and a better diet. If THAT doesn't work, talk to your PCP about a low-dose anti-depressant.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The most effective thing I have found is vitamin D. Dr. Mercola has good info on it. Most people are deficient in it and need 35IU/lb each day, so a 150 lb person would take 5250 IU/day. I feel much better since starting it, I dont spend all morning yawning, dont cry for no reason, I'm not as cold all the time(thought I had a thyroid issue). Feel free to PM me for more info on it.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I use Sam-E and Super B complex along with my multi vitamins. They've been working for me since I had my son and my ppd has gotten better.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I am on 100 mg. per day of 5-HTP, and it works really well, with NO side effects (after trying 7 different antidepressants & having horrible side effects, that's like a miracle to me!!). It's about $25 for a bottle of 60 capsules (100 mg.) at Whole Foods.
    I can't remember which brands, but there are some that make capsules of 5-HTP & St. John's Wort together.
    Also, be sure to take a multivitamin daily. Exercise & sunshine help as well :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010