What is the difference between these 2 sayings?

"Live and let live" and "Live and let die"

My husband and I were having a friendly disagreement over what difference, if any, there is in these 2 phrases. What is your perception of what each of them means?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 1:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• However, yes, Live and Let Die was just a play on the original saying.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• In my opinion, live and let live offers tolerance to one's fellow human beings, espousing the ideology that if someone's actions are not harmful to others around them, leave them be to live as they choose. Live and let die implies an idea traditionally held by religions and others in power...if I don't approve of how you live/if it interferes with my plan or fantasy, you die.

While I have many personal fantasies about the second one, I try to live by the first one. :o)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The original saying was "Live and let live". It means don't kill your fellow man to save yourself. The phrase, "Live and let die" is a play on the original saying and was first seen in the 70's as the title of a James Bond movie. It means, kill your fellow man to save yourself.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 1:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2010