Potty Training: what to do when your girl wants to do it standing up?

My daughter pretty much potty trained herself, which I knew had to be too good to be true. Her twin brother has been having a more difficult time with potty training, and after falling in a few times he was having issues with scooting back far enough on the seat. In an attempt to find a way that works better for him we have tried having him stand. It hasn't really done the trick for him, but now his sister, Ms. I'm-going-to-do-it-myself, has decided she can and will do it standing up too! Any ideas how I can get her to stop this?

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just explain to her why standing can be a good idea for boys and a bad idea for girls. I'm talking about anatomical differences, and with a boy twin, I'm sure she's well aware. I would tell her that if she pees standing up, she will pee all over the place and have to clean it up herself. If you see her doing it (maybe even let her try once), do have her clean it up. Yuck! Most girls I know (I have two) don't like things that you say "ew, yuck!" about.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• LOL... so your duaghter wants to stand and your son wants to sit??? Oh you will have sooooo much fun reminding them of this when they are teenagers!!!!

I have no ideas... but best of luck!!
    Anonymous

• um, tell her only in the tub!
    Anonymous

• So this is what I have to look forward to?! I told my husband that I wanted to start trying when they were about 18 months because baby girl fights me like crazy changing her! We'll see though! I would go with the having her clean it up. I know with my oldest when he does something he shouldn't and makes a mess, he definitely gets the hint!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 2:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• EmilySusan - I'll try explaining it to her again.  I expect she won't believe me until she makes a mess, and then I'll have her clean up. I don't know why I didn't think of that, other than maybe I was caught off guard.  Thanks for the good advice.

Mommystiebler- Potty training a boy and girl at the same time is a different kind adventure.  If yours don't pull this, then I'm sure they'll pull something else that will leave you just as speechless! 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Lol, too funny! Does she actually get the pee in the toilet?

I'd stay in the bathroom with her, let her pee standing up, and show her how it doesn't work for girls because it goes down her leg. If she's literally straddling the toilet, I'd tell her that's still sitting, but backwards.

mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• LMAO! You have to let us know how this goes in the L&L group! I vote for telling her what will happen, then having her clean up if she makes a mess. I had to laugh when I read this. My DD decided at 3 that she wanted to potty sitting sideways on the toilet (she'd seen a kid at preschool doing that). The problem is that she would wait until she had to go so bad that she was about to burst, then the urine would shoot straight out on my cabinet! I wasn't too crazy about the idea. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010