Should he get the vasectomy NOW or wait until after we have this baby?

We are for sure done having children. We have decided he will be the one to "get fixed"
We are pregnant with our last one. He wants me to go ahead and make the appointment for him to get his vasectomy done but at the same time I feel that that would be like bad luck or something. What if (I even hate thinking this) something were to happen to this pregnancy and he was already snipped? I don't know if I would WANT to try for another one if that were to happen, I may be too sad. But, you never know. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My husband had his vasectomy the day after our youngest was born. It worked out well because he was already planning to take the week off to be with us, and since I couldn't have sex for 6 weeks, it was easier to wait. I personally felt better knowing my youngest baby was here and healthy before making it permanent, and doing it then timed out really well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would make the appt for 6 months after the baby is born.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would wait
    Anonymous

• I think we're waiting. as well. I don't want him to get it done, but he's set on iit and thats ok, but I'm hoping he may change his mind lol
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would wait, we waited till our youngest was 2 just to be sure that we wouldnt change our minds. 2 years was about the time i would normally get the urge to have another baby so we waited to make sure that i didnt get the urge to have another.

In most states when your married you both have to sign a paper stating you both agree to the procedure so if your really not ready then dont sign it, waiting 6 months will not kill him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i'd wait. i know it's horrible to even consider that something bad would happen to your pregnancy/baby but it is possible.

my step-aunt's hubby had a V, then their baby died from SIDS, he got a reversal & they eventually conceived. the whole thing was extremely sad, as you can imagine.
    Anonymous

• Go ahead and wait. Maybe a few days after-your baby is born. ;)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would wait AT LEAST 6 months AFTER the baby is born.

Also just some food for thought...every single man or women I know that got "fixed" has regretted it deeply so PLEASE make sure this is 100% what you both want.

Think of EVERY SINGLE situation that could happen to you (divorce, a child passes, you pass, etc.) and how him being "fixed" will affect you in that situation and then decided. I know these are hard things to think about but I think it's very important to do so.
    Anonymous

• I am having my DH wait at least 4 to 8 weeks after our son is born (make sure everything goesd well). I honestly don't want any sex again until he is fixed, for I REALLY, REALLY, am NOT going through pregnancy ever again, assuming everything turns out well with our son to be of course. :) :)
    Anonymous

• I would wait. You never know what could happen or change.
    Anonymous