what age should my daughter be wiping her bottom by herself?

She will be 3 in 6 weeks and has been potty trained for a long time. If she only has to pee, she runs off to the potty herself, gets on herself, wipes herself, flushes, washes her hands and comes back to what she was doing. If she poops, I have trained her not to wipe at all, just to call for me so I can come wipe her. At what age can they learn to wipe their bottoms without making a mess? I don't want her to get yeast infections or a sore bottom, but I want to allow her to be as independent as she can be. I totally don't mind doing it, either, it's not that! Thanks!

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 1:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she should definately be doing it alone by the day of her wedding!
    Anonymous

• my two year old girl wipes her own butt. But my four year old boy still wants help. Just show her how to hold the paper and wipe, you can watch her to make sure she is doing it right. I think she would be ready to learn. My little girl gets really mad if I try to wipe her. I only do it when she has the runns cause her butt hurts and she would rather not wipe.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Start trying now. Have her wipe and you go behiond her. Then, have her wipe and you just look. Soon, she will be able to do it just fine. My son could at age 3. My freind and I are a year apart and our mom's finally made us when I was 5 and she was 4. LOL They thought we would never learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It's a good idea to have her doing it before she starts pre-k or at least by Kindergarten. Once she is in school you won't be there to help her. I had the same issue with my daughter. I got her trying just before pre-k.
    CrazyKiss

Answer by CrazyKiss at 1:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with Crazykiss... she needs to be able to do it herself before she starts school. The teachers won't do that for her (unless a child has special needs and has an aid assigned to her to help her with that kind of stuff. An Aid gets paid extra to handle potty issues) Generally teachers won't do much more than help with a button/belt, or something like that. They just don't have the time to leave the other kids to wipe bottoms.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my son always wants help im trying to get him to do it on his own but when he has a bm he does not get it all and it gets on his underwear if i do not help him
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If she is going to go to preschool, she needs to learn before she starts because the majority of centers do not allow their teachers to wipe a child's butt. The preschool I work at has the policy, the child must be completely potty trained and that includes everything; wiping, pulling pants ups and down, etc. If not going to preschool, she needs to definatley know by Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010