Not two but Three biological parents?

Could three-way in-vitro fertilization (IVF) pave the way for babies to have three parents some day? Scientists at Newcastle University have created embryos that hold the DNA of two women and one man, according to BBC News.
The researchers’ goal is to keep damaged DNA contained in the mitochondria in the cell from being passed from the mother to the baby.
The new technique enables the scientists to replace damaged mitochondria - essentially the "batteries" that keep cells functioning - during IVF. In the high-tech procedure, the nuclei from the dad’s sperm and the mom’s egg, which hold the parents’ DNA, are removed, and the defective mitochondria are left behind. The nuclei are then placed into another egg that has had its nucleus removed but that still has its mitochondria.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's actually rather scary. Research like this may start out with the best of intentions...being able to keep dibilitating heridtary disease from being passed on to another generation....but it's just a short step, really, from deciding that, since we can keep these things from being passed on, lets work on keeping any and all undesirable traits from being passed on......the question then would be....who decides what is undesirable. It all kinda reminds me of Hitler's quest for the superior race.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Anonymous

• Sounds WAY too risky to me. As cool as I think all these medical advancements are, I really think scientists need to stop playing God. They're seriously gonna f*ck up the human race someday.
    Anonymous

• Wow...that is different. That took brains to figure out. And, that is going real far to be able to give birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Playing God with never end well.......
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• So changing DNA, in order to prevent horrible, even life threatening diseases is playing God? Is the use of organ transplantation, blood transfusions and Titanium limbs playing God as well. Fear can stymie creativity, research and development.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with SisterAct... It isn't playing God. But, it is far just to conceive and give birth. Geeze, foster or adopt. I can't imagine the price.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes it is playing God, it isn't up to us as humans to decide which genes get passed on. And I know it wouldn't stop at "problems", people are already trying to create perfect children. It is easier to carry a child for someone, than it is to donate your eggs. I was accepted near instantly, know why? I have an a white woman, who at the time had a perfect body, with a high IQ, perfect grades, blue eyes, brown hair and good height. My sister wasn't accepted, she is also a white woman, but is short, even though she has an awesome body as well, blue eyes, blonde hair, but she has an average IQ and even more average grades. People say they want children because they want to be parents. A lot of these people with money only want perfect beings, to parade around like trophies. It makes me sick!

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes, this is playing God. There is a HUGE difference between deciding which traits get kept in an embryo, and donating a kidney. Organ donation for the most part comes from people who are no longer alive, it is a choice made by the donor beforehand or the family of the donor. It is a CHOICE. This manipulating DNA has nothing to do with choice at all. Except in the sense that a couple can "choose" to have a perfect child. When it comes to reproduction, and babies, well I feel they are a blessing and a gift, and we take what we are given.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• biochemgen.ucsd.edu/mmdc/brochure.htm - Cached

Eliminating this for children is playing God?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010