Have you ever moved across country for a job (or SO's job)? Non-military...

I'm applying for this job on the other side of the country (in a city that I've already decided I'd like to live in) but if I get it I don't know how I'd move our family there. How did you do it? Would I have to move out there first, get settled in, find a place to live and THEN bring my husband and son out? Or do I look for a place before I'm even sure I got the job and hope everything works out so we can all move together? How does this work? I didn't expect an opportunity like this to happen so quickly so I haven't had much time to mentally prepare!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Always secure the job before moving an entire family. Make sure the company will pay you for your move.

Anonymous

• My husband relocated from CA to IL in June 08. At the time of the move, we had a son entering his SR year in HS and a daughter finishing her final semester of undergrad. I stayed on working in CA until the Summer of 2009, and my husband lived in corporate housing in Chicago. Currently, the kids live and attend college and grad school in CA-I work very part time in CA and commute back and worth- We sold a large home in CA and purchased smaller homes in each new city. The Company provided our move as part of a Corporate relocation package.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We just relocated from Canada to Winnipeg. My husband started the job last summer but we didn't move the family until the beginning of the year. He was on a 6-month probation period and wanted to be sure that he'd pass that before moving our family. And also wanted to be sure he'd enjoy the job and living in Orlando. It was hard having our family apart while we stayed in Canada and husband was in Orlando, but we made it work thanks to unlimited long distance calling and skype. We are also renting a house until we get a feel for the area and decide where we want to settle. Good luck! Everything will work out for the best!
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 7:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010