My dad and evil stepmom cosign for me to get a car 6 yrs ago, and i'm already done paying it but now they keep on making excuses to transfer the title, what should I do?

They sold me the LOT I live in and I always pay it on time infact I always give alot more than the monthly bill, and right away they make time to cash it but they can't make time for me. The excuse of my evil stepmom is that she doesn't have time to go with me to the notary to sign the papers, I tell her i'm going to pay it Ijust need 30 minutes of her time but she says shes always busy but when isnt she to busy to cash the check, I don't understand. I need to drive my car to take my 4 yr old to his dr appointments and mine too plus his speech therapy and my car stickers expired since 2008 and I remember back in "08 she had told me for my b-day she was going to renew my stickers, we're already 2010 and she still hasn't kept her word. The txdot registration tells me to take them to court cause its a civil matter what should I do? and txdot also said for me not to pay them for the lot for May until they do this for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh my god my husband had the same exact problem with his father and evil witch of a stepmother. There was always some new excuse. I think they did it purposely so they could have some sort of hold on him. Si one day i just called them up my self and told them to send the damn thing. They sent it and of course one of them conveniently "forgot" to sign it. So my husband just forged the signature and now the car is our and we are free from those people. I would try to ask them once again and threaten to take them to court and see if they will do it. If not then take them to court. You paid of the car and deserve to have it in your name. You need it for you and your kids. For some reason fathers become really stupid when they get a new wife.
    Anonymous

• What does your dad say about all of this? Maybe you should skip the stepmom and talk directly to your dad. If you still owe them money tell her you will meet her at the bank with the check-- and will give it to her right after the notary signs off on the paperwork. That way if she wants her $$ she has to get the notary deed done first! If they keep acting like jerks and do not follow thru on the notary then I would seriously consider taking them to court. If you do that-- make sure you have proof of payment-- receipts, cancelled checks and such to show that you paid them.
    I hope things work out-- good luck!!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It's not like it's not in your name already. They just cosigned for it. I wouldn't take your dad to court if you want any relationship with him. And you can't just not pay a bill because someone isn't doing something for you.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You are driving around with expired stickers and you dare say anything about anybody else. Go take care of your stickers. You don't have to worry about getting their names off the title until you sell the car!
    Anonymous

• Last annonymous are u stupid or what don't u know that I can't get my stickers because its under there name not mine so they would have to go and get the stickers because herer in Texas they wont sell you the registration sticker if the car isn't under your name and my name isn't under the car but i have proof that I paid it off for 4 years!
    Anonymous

• I've never had to go with someone to a notary to sell a car (and I've sold a BUBCH here in Georgia) I have also never had a seller go with me to transfer the title.... Is the title in her name? Or is she the “lien holder”

Here in Georgia, you have the "owner" sign the back of the title" and then you take that to the tag office to get your new title and new tags.

Is it the tag/title office saying that she personally has to have the title notarized?? I've never heard of doing that.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• and last annonymous when did I mention that i'm driving it around???????????? dont u know how to freakin read??? I said I need to drive it thats why I want my stickers renewed but I can't get them renewed if the dont go with me to the registration place or transfer the damn title under my name. I'm paying insurance on it for nothing because I can't drive it with expired stickers.
    Anonymous

• veronicalee they didn't sell me the CAR!!!!!! I bought it!!! I paid for it!!!! Thats why the city and state rules here in Texas is if you paid for it but someone signed for you cause youi didnthave credit at that moment then when youre done paying it they have to go with you to the notary! Now if I would of bought it from them then it would of been a different story, then I wouldnt need them in person I would of just needed there signature on th eback of the title paper and there drivers license.
    Anonymous

• veronicalee so do you recommend for me just to do it like if I bought it from them? I have the title here with me but my dads name and stepmoms name come out on it, not mine. TxDot registration tells me to take them to court cause its a civil matter, I have all the proof that I paid it all myself. I just spoke to my dad again a few minutes ago hes at work again, he said he supposedly forgot to call me when he was off last week to go with me to the darn notary.
    Anonymous

• You HAVE to go to a notary here to transfer a title. Otherwise any shmoe could steal the paperwork and sign it and say you gave them the car.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010