Is a Blood test standard for 3 year olds doctor visit?

My Son just went to his 3 year Doctors visit. All is well. But the Dr. wrote me a prescription to bring him to a lab for a CBC, diff?, & lead. Is this standard? I am really nervous about them drawing blood on a 3 year old. I have to go to a Quest Diagnostics lab on L.I. NY. What are your experiences? Also what is a diff? I forgot to ask the Dr.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a big push nationwide to test kids for lead exposure. Being on LI, (I"m on the coast of CT) I think that is considered a high risk area d/t car and airplane exhaust. Kids are generally tested for lead at 9-12 months (usually fingerstick) and again at age 2. The age 2 is new, if kids weren't tested then, they are supposed to be tested at the next physical exam.

I don't know why the doc ordered a CBC, which is a complete blood count. "and diff" means differential, so instead of just saying 6000 red blood cells and 10000 white blood cells, it tells what kind of white blood cells, like mast cells, etc.... it is VERY common to order it like that, I just can't tell you why it was done at this time. Call the office and ask to speak to a nurse about it.

Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• did your dr give you an explination of why they were ordering blood tests?
    there were none at my sons 3 year appt
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Drawing blood is pretty standard in younger children to test for lead especially if you live in an older home or he visits an older home regularly. I've had several foster children go thru it as well as my own and it's really not that bad for them. I've had them where they've screamed bloody murder to sitting there watching them and then grinning when they get their sticker & bandage.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My 6 yo daughter has blood drawn all the time (starting just after birth), but she has kidney problems. My 4yo son and 11 yp daughter have never had blood drawn.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thank you all for the info! :)
    Anonymous

• my 4 yo hasn't had blood drawn at any visits. Lead is usually done at an earlier. Call and ask him why htese were ordered.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes my son had his lead test done at his three year visit. It wasnt fun but he did ok.
    harteri

Answer by harteri at 5:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Must vary by doctor. We just did our son's 3 yr check up last week but no blood test.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They do blood tests at all my sons checkups. Usually they just prick his finger and take a little bit of blood though. Maybe 1/2 a teaspoon. I don't think they need much to run those tests.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2010