Would you be mad???

Okay. Here's the situation. I was NEVER my mother's favorite child, and I was told repeatedly that I was "never wanted". Well, I've grown up and I have a family of my own and I love them dearly. When my mother is rude and hateful to me, I just "chock" it up to the fact that she's been dealt a pretty harsh hand in the last few years. Well, my sister, my mother, my sister-in-law and her three daughters, and myself and my two daughters went out of town this weekend together to a funeral. We ALL walked into the funeral home together, and my mom started making introductions to one of her friends....this is how it went....
"This is my youngest daughter, Megan, she left her little girl back home, this is my daughter-in-law Jackie and her three girls, Jamie, Bailey, and Lauryn and these are my other grand-daughers, Emma and Ally."
THEN SHE WAS DONE!!!! Emma and Ally are MINE!!! She never mentioned me!!! I was standing there!!!

TimandMely4ever

Asked by TimandMely4ever at 1:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• That is really terrible. However, by now...you don't have to be mad anymore. Anyone who would tell their child that they were "never wanted" is horribly inconsiderate of your feelings and your sense of self-worth, even it it is your own mother. I'm happy that you have your own life and family to love. Any time or thoughts of anger towards such a hateful person is, in my opinion, wasted time. Your time is too precious for that! XOXO
    KayRCee

Answer by KayRCee at 4:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Rude bitch! I would be furious! I wouldn't even bother keeping her in my life anymore.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes, I would be hurt. That's a very hateful thing for any mother to do even if they're child is grown.
    Anonymous

• I would have butt into the introduction and said "Oh and I'M _______ her other daughter. My mother seems to be getting more forgetful lately....."

:)
    Anonymous

• I would have spoke up and said something like "Oh, by the way I am her other daughter Susan-- Emma and Ally are my children". That way it gets turned back on your mom (and she knows you are aware of her 'snub') and hopefully that would embarrass her in front of the others for 'forgetting' you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It's because you have lost so much weight she didn't see you there ;)

Lub Ya! No words for ya though........ it's weird because she so doesn't "seem" that way in real life :*( Not saying I don't believe you. Just odd.
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 2:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Wow. How do your sisters take this? My mother hated me from age 12 to 16. Literally hated me. She did not hate my sisters but was bad to them in other ways. My sisters always loved me unconditionally and that made it less painful. My mom died when I was 21. But if she did that to me as an adult I know my sisters would have said something before I could even open my mouth.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

That is EXACTLY what I did!!! I said "Oh, I guess I'm just Melanie, the "other" daughter, and these two belong to me!" The lady looked at mom like she was crazy! But....I just can't stand that this continues to happen.
    At Christmas the entire family was sitting around my living room talking and one of the kids got yelled at for hitting. My sister then asked me kinda jokingly how many times mom had slapped me across the face that she had lost track after the 12th time she was around when it happened. I told her I had no idea how many times, but it was more than I cared to count. She replied that she'd only slapped her ONCE....to which my mother swirled around and said...."I don't remember EVER slapping you Megan...I can't believe I'd do that, I loved you.".......
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 4:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Ouch! My grandmother treated my mother this way. She beat her when she was a child nd she remained verbally abusive to my mother (and me) until she passed. My mother had a sister and brother which my g-ma adored but they had nothing to do with her. My mother and I, the gluttons for punishment we were, cared for her the last few years of her life. My aunt and uncle never visited. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but she's your mom and no matter how horribly she treats you it's difficult to walk away
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Wow... your mom sounds hostile and obvious in her treatment differences with your sister. If I were you, I'd spend as little time with her as possible and NOT be surprised at the mean things she says or omits to say. Just expect it and try not to let it hurt you. At this point, she is not going to change.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010