ringworm

ok against my better judgement i let my son spend the night at my bil house. i go to pick him up and find out that my nephew has ringworm. my bil didnt tell us that and didnt have my nephew with him when he picked up my son. my husband is pissed. my nephew has been getting treated for a week, i hope thats long enough

jamiethornton26

Asked by jamiethornton26 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Health

• my son had ringworm on his head. I can't remember how long they need to wait for it not to be a concern anymore but i would think its until its gone. i would say keep a close eye on your son. i would be pissed too.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 2:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I'm quoting our school district policy here: If the ringworm is on the body/ arms/ legs and is being treated by a cream/ointment medication, the child needs to be treated for 24 hours before returning to school. If the ringworm is on the head/scalp and is being treated by oral medication, he/she needs to be on the med and out of school for 48 hours. So, your ds should be fine ,but do keep an eye on him, like pp said. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• thanks! cuz i didnt know how lonw they were contagious for. he is being treated otc
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• he may have not caught ringrworm there. You can pick up ringworm from dirt. So playing in your own yard or even a park may have caused it. Fungus are wide spread.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• As long as he is on medication and your being very clean with hands and his hands then you should be fine. Within 24 hours of being on medication its not contagious.
    Anonymous