Bethany Christian ... Adoption Agency.

Who has used this adoption agency? What did you think of them? We're looking into adoption and had some major questions. How much did they charge? How long was the wait from start to finish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• When we were looking into adoption we sent out letters to all the agencies telling them we were interested in special needs adoption. The response we got from Bethany was the most disturbing... They asked us if we were in the medical field and had unlimited cash resources, if so they could match us with children in other countries with medical needs. They were very heavy on the interest in our money and not interest in us or our family. It really made me upset. I would never go with them. Thank God I didn't. And yes we did end up with a special needs child and we are very happy.

Anonymous

• I just looked at their reviews on the independent agency rating website, all I can say is "Holy Cow!".

http://www.adoptionagencyratings.com/bethany-christian-services.htm 

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yuck! Don't like them. That is all I have to say about that. Not even worth writting about.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well, we used them for an international adoption and they were amazing. Maybe they are different for domestic, but they were so great with us.. it could also depend on which office you use..we used the Atlanta branch and everyone in the China office were very patient, kind, and informative.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I don't have any experience with Bethany. We used Catholic Charities both times and I was very impressed with them. The SW we worked with showed great respect for the EWCA, and even let us know that they were primarily there to serve them (and not us). The SW who helped us with our DD's adoption is an adoptee herself. Of course, it depends so much on who is working in a certain office. Not everyone will report having a good experience, and there are people who really shouldn't be working in that field because their priorities are skewed.

Our first adoption cost $5,000 plus legal fees, and our second one cost $10,000 plus legal fees. We were open to any gender, any ethnicity/ skin color, and "special circumstances" (which usually means prenatal substance exposure). We were also open to "legal risk", meaning that the biological father could not be located. PM me if you want more info. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Oh - it took 3 1/2 years waiting for our first child, then another 3 years waiting for our second child. That doesn't include time spent trying to find an agency we could work with. A big obstacle is age limits - IDK if that will apply to you.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They're only in it for the money. Literally.
    They will promise you , and offer you the eartyh if you want to 'buy' a baby from them, but if you 'give' them a baby, they don't care about you at all.
    Please do not support such an exploitative, uncaring agency.
    Foster care offers children who NEED a home a home.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We used Bethany for our first adoption. They pushed us toward domestic Caucasian infant, even though I made it clear that was not what was on my heart. They were not as informative as they should have been about the realities of domestic infant adoption. I am now SO GLAD that that path didn't pan out for us!!!! We ended up going international, and adopting children that really were in need of parents. They work with Holt International in Korea, and I really respect that program. It is where international adoption began back during the Korean War. I would say if your going International, they do great things in that field to help the needy, and place children internationally when that is the last option for them. Domestic....I know nothing there really, but am not a fan of domestic infant adoption as it works today. The way that system works currently... is not fair for moms or prospective adoptive parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010