Have you tried this natural heartworm treatment on your dog?

My aunt and uncle gave this remedy to their dog, and they swear by it. Even their vet was suprised. Aside from the fact that we just cannot afford to get the chemical treatmen for our Boston, it would be nearly impossible to keep him calm afterwards as needed for safety (we have a toddler and a puppy too). He has been on the natural treatment for three days, and we have already seen a change in his personality. All of these capsuled supplements can be found at a regular vitamin store:

1st Month:
1-1000mg Garlic
1/2-490mg Yucca
1/2-Wormwood Combination
1/2-550mg Hawthorn Berry

6 Months After:

Same combination, except discontinue Garlic

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 2:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I feed my dogs garlic to control fleas and ticks. But use a heartworm preventative. If it works why not. I have never seen fleas or ticks on either one of my dogs and have used it in the past on others we had.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would never count on that to prevent heartworms. You don't have to keep them calm after giving them the preventative just if they get heartworms and have to have treatment. The treatment is very expensive, we adopted a dog who had heartworm and it cost $750.00 to have her treated.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 3:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I will go the holistic route for something but not all. I won't mess around when it comes to the heartworms.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• OP HERE-

I need to make a correctin to my post. It is the WORMWOOD that you discontinue for the next six months. Sorry about that.

Oh, and this herbal remedy is not a preventitive, it is a treatment for dogs that already have heartworms. My aunt and uncle's dog had them and this actually killed and eliminated them. The vet was in shock.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 7:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Do you know if this can be used as a preventative too? Thanks!
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 12:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would be shocked if that treatment actually worked. I'd be interested to know how long your relative's dog had been infected when they treated. If you do not treat the heartworms, they will die off naturally after 3-5 years - assuming your dog does not get reinfected and start all over again. The heartworm life cycle does not continue within the dog and new heartworms will not develop if infected mosquitoes don't bite your dog. You can put your dog on preventative to keep additional infections from occurring. Even a dog that is heartworm positive needs to have restricted activity whether or not they are treated and be put on preventative to keep them and other dogs from getting reinfected.

One more thing, garlic can lead to loss of kidney function and can be toxic to dogs. Very small doses won't do a lot of harm, but I'd just as soon avoid garlic all together since you may not know your individual dog's tolerance threshold.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Thats all we need more dogs coming into my office having heart worms due to them going holistic and not using Heart worm preventative. Heart worms is nothing to joke about many dogs die from this because pet owners refuse to buy heart worm medication.
    Anonymous

• some dogs can not tolerate garlic. Most can. I give a half of clove 3 times a week. It repells fleas and deworms. I hate to tell you but all those chemical flea and tick sprays and oils that you put on your pets in more toxic to them and your family than a little bit of garlic. I've had dogs for close to 30 years and never had have fleas or ticks and no dogs have died using garlic. However I had to put one down after he developed an severe reaction to a chemical flea repellant that causes both his kidneys and live to stop working and he had his respitory system also start shutting down. And it came from the vets office and was the proper dose.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2010