My dog won't eat...

She is an indoor/outdoor dog. Lab mix. 3 years old. Up to date on shots. Weighs over 70 pounds, and usually chows her food down right away. Lately, she's only been eating half a bowl, if that. Sometimes nothing at all. She' still drinking her water, and being playful. Nothing else odd is going on with her. I'm taking her to the vet this week, but wanted to get an idea of what the problem could be...

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 2:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Has it gotten hot in your area? sometimes their eating habits will change when it gets hot. It could be anything though so I think it is good that you are taking her int.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Maybe change her food, mine was starting to do that, but try a different food or you can start cooking plain white rice and see if she will eat that. : )
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would definitely go to the vet but I wouldn't freak out. My mother's dogs go through periods where they don't eat as much and then start eating fine again.
    Anonymous

• She should be done growing now. She won't be needing as much food. Some days my lab drains the bowl, others not. As long as there is no change in her disposition, there really isn't anything to worry about.

If she starts getting into the trash or looking for food elsewhere, then change the food.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2010