how do we make the terrible twos easier?

he says no all the time

proudmommy358

Asked by proudmommy358 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out, let me know. BUMP*
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Toddlers and 2-year-olds are learning to think. They have opinions and ideas. They want to do things their own way. They have learned how to say no, and they can physically resist what they don't want. But they are still too young to understand how their actions affect others, to see danger, and to think before they act.

It is important for children to become independent. We want them to grow up to follow their own ideas. But we must keep children safe. We also must teach them to consider the needs of others, to mind parents about important things, and to say no in acceptable ways.

Children can resist in different ways. As your child becomes more independent, she or he may say no by doing any or all of these things:

Become disagreeable and refuse your request
    Do the opposite of what you want
    Ignore you
    Reject you and go to someone else
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Push away when you want to hug or kiss
    Run away from you
    Go into the street or another unsafe place
    Do something after you have said not to

You can't keep your child from ever being negative.

Remember, it's a normal part of growing up. But there are ways to help your child and yourself during the "no" years.

Change the situation. A child who is under stress may be more negative than usual. You can help out at times like these.

When your child is tired or hungry. Getting him to bed at a regular time and providing healthy meals and snacks may help your child stay in control.
    When your child is facing new situations. For example, if your son is starting to go to a new day care, it's not a good time to work on getting him to stop using a pacifier. Give your child time to adjust to one change before introducing another.
    When your child is bored. Providing a new toy or new experience may focus your child's atte
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Encourage cooperation. Your child is more likely to do what you say if you use approaches like these:

Ask rather than tell. Say "Would you give me the book, please?" instead of demanding "Bring me the book."
    Clearly explain what you want your child to do. Say "Let's put the blocks on the shelf" instead of "Let's put the toys away."
    Tell your child what to do instead of what not to do. Say and show how to "Touch the kitty softly" instead of just saying "Don't poke the kitty."
    Make requests that are reasonable. For example, a young child may find it easier to trade one toy for another than to give up a toy and have nothing left to play with.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• So how I stay sane is... Remembering that my child doesn't act this way to upset or defy me. He's learning and in the end that's a good thing. When it gets overwhelming I take a break for myself and force myself to remember that if I handle the terrible twos smartly and cool headed, they'll be over soon enough and just enjoy the good parts for now.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have to stop and remind myself that she is TWO, she's only been on this earth for TWO years, lol. She is not 5 or 10 or 20 and she does not think like me or any other adult in her life. It's a challenge, but this too shall pass :)
    JCurzon

Answer by JCurzon at 3:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Keep in mind that three is worse. The bigger the child, the bigger the problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• The key is follow through...every time. No exceptions.
    Anonymous