Can't breastfeed?

Not trying to cause drama so please dont start it. I hear lots of people on here say they couldn't breastfeed. What are some reasons people can't breastfeed? i'm assuming one is low milk production..what causes that? Anyone have any stats on what percent of women physically can't breastfeed? Can you do anything to maximize your chances of being able to breastfeed?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• many women just get really bad information that undermines their breastfeeding, which leads to nursing failure
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It can happen, but, is rare.

I thought I didn't have enough or it wasn't filling him. Turns out I was undereducated. LOL I realize now that it was a growth spurt and supposed to happen.

Most of the time it is too little support and too little education.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My issue was that I couldn't pump anything. Once I returned to work, I just could not pump more than a 4 oz bottle. That wasn't going to work for a full day at Auntie's house, so I went to formula. I eventually just got sick of trying BF all together for I didn't want to come home and pump, and wanted to share feedings with DH. The bottles were just easier for OUR LIFE.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Only about 2% of women cannot breastfeed. most are discouraged from people telling them that the reason their babies want to nurse constantly is because they have a low flow. This is false. The reason they nurse more often than formula fed babies is that natural milk does not have 'fillers' in it so it is easier to digest, thus they are hungry more often. Low production is usually caused by offering bottles or formula rather than exclusively nursing. Very few women have low flow but it is caused by stress.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It happens IDK what happened but I dry up shortly after 2 - 3 months. No matter what I do. No 1st answer it was NOT bad information. I tried it all. Try being in someones shoes first!
    Anonymous

• KairisaMama, your issue is a common one. Most women are lead to believe that a pump is just as efficient as a baby. It is not and some women just cannot get anything out with a pump. So because they are not regularly purging the breast, the body assumes that milk is not required to be made at that point in time, thus reducing your flow naturally. Supply and demand...if there is no demand, the body will not supply it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i was only able to breast feed my second child, thank god too, he was 2 months pre term and needed it, however my first and 3 rd child i couldnt produce enough breast milk...my dr said that it sometime happens.
    i used the breast pump with my second child cause he spent time in the nicu and i had to have it set to high suction to get anything out.
    but all and all...my 3 kids are very healthy i guess that is all that matters
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• WOW anon. I think the 1st answer said MOST not all. There are some women that no matter what they do, just cannot nurse. It is no fault of their own. I think that the comment was meant more that when issues arise, it is taught that it is because they cannot nurse rather than what is actually a normal part of nursing and so they are urged to quit and go to formula.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Kairismama, a four ounce bottle was a HUGE amount! I suppose no one told yo that normal pump output is only one half to two ounces total a session, and baby needs only one to one and a half ounces of breastmilk per hour of separation? (Based on a need of 24-30 ounces TOTAL in a day.)

You were doing FABULOUSLY but didn't know it.

Which is not a slam on you, dear. It's an observation that no one tells moms what they need to know.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• "No 1st answer it was NOT bad information. I tried it all. Try being in someones shoes first! "

Having BEEN in the shoes myself...and having counseled hundreds of breastfeeding women over the past decade, I can say with confidence that all too often the problem IS a lack of good information. There ARE indeed cases where the mom cannot...that 2-3% of women who truly CANNOT do it. But far too often (and in my book if it happens ONCE it's too often) a mom has expectations that are not realistic, because no one has told her what it's really like.

I often advise moms to be to spend three times as much of their prenatal months on preparing to feed that baby as they do on the nursery and layette. Feeding is the most vital thing and will take up most of mom's time once baby arrives.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010