Fenugreek

Has fenugreek worked for anybody in increasing milk supply? If so, how long did it take? How much did you take a day?
My lactation specialist has me starting it today because stress is taking a HUGE toll on my milk supply, I basically have nothing since yesterday.
Just want to see how good my chance is of it working and make sure I take it correctly.

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does work but I would recommend that you go to a store that specialized in natural medicine and not GNC since they do not offer it fresh
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I actually went to gnc and couldn't find it so I went to a natural foods store. I hope it works!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Works wonders IF you are nursing or pumping frequently. My dosage was 3000 mg a day for pumping at work. Worked VERY fast...most moms see a difference in 24-48 hours.

How are you gauging supply, though? 6-8 dipe changes a day means supply is fine. NOTHING else counts, just the dipes.

Be sure to keep up your water, as it's the raw material. 64 ounces daily.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I took it starting at around 7 months with my daughter. AF came back and basically my supply would dip for about a week around that time. I took three capsules at a time, 3 times a day (with meals) and I drank two cups of mother's milk tea a day (one in am, one before bed) as well. It worked well during my "low supply" time of the month. I know several women in my BF support group who take it daily to help with supply. You MUST nurse or pump at least 8 times a day for it to help increase supply.
    JCurzon

Answer by JCurzon at 3:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It worked for me, but you smell like IHOP, LOL :)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• gdiamante, my DD only had 2 wet diapers yesterday, no wet diaper over night and one so far today. I called the Lactation specialist first thing this morning. My DD was also unlatching herself every minute and screaming. Thank you for the advice!

Luvmylilmonkies, I'm so not looking forward to smelling like IHOP lol. They told me I would smell like pancakes and that's how I will know I'm taking enough. My lucky family will have to suffer threw that haha.

Thank you all=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It worked for me and I never smelled like IHOP. I took plenty and it reall helpped with my milk supply. Oatmeal works too.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

• It hasn't been scientifically proven to work. It's not a regulated drug so you don't know what you are getting. I wouldn't use it.

Stress does not affect supply. Women in Haiti and in wars are breastfeeding their babies. To make more milk breastfeed more. Stress can affect the let down reflex somewhat. Doing relaxation exercises will help with that. Even if teas, ect. worked it wouldn't help if you are having problems with your let down reflex.

If you are pumping rather than breastfeeding using the Marmet massage technique before pumping may help. Go to google and type in Marmet technique for instructions.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I've breastfed the same way I have since she was born, barely any pumping. The only thing that has happened differently lately is stress. The lactation specialists I have worked with since day one all tell me stress can do that.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010