what kinds of things can your 16 month old do/say?

im a little concerned with my daughter's development. i know youre not suppose to compare kids but my 3 year old was speaking in sentences and seemed less "babylike" at 16 months then my middle child. she can only say "uh oh" "thank you" "mama" "yay" and maybe 1 or 2 other things. everything else she just makes a sound for the word and it's not even close to what the word sounds like. she can feed herself and stack things, play with balls and books, although she hates sitting through a story if i try to read to her. my doctor didn't seem concerned at all when i took her in for her 15 month checkup last month but i feel like she's not quite on track. could it just be that she's taking a little longer to come around? what can yours do? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 15 months old and will be 16 months in a week...he can say bite, more, hi, bye, night night, tries to say milk but doesn't come out very good but I know what he means...he says mom, momma, dad, daddy, bubba, nanna and papa but nothing more than that. But just in the last 2 days he has started trying to say more things like whoa! and hey!.... but I think your lil one is on track just may take a lil longer than your 1st child. I wouldn't be too concerned especially if you dr isn't.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son was like your son, but, he would NOT sit and listen to a book until almost 3 at best. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Goodness it was only a few months ago but he's developed so much since then it's already hard to remember! I don't think he was saying much more (if any) than your's is as he is now 20 months and can repeat short phrases but definitely not actually speaking sentences. Sounds like your older one was just pretty advanced! I think your daughter is growing just fine :) I'm sure you heard this many times but every baby is different. That does not make one slower than the other!
    Anonymous

• My son will be 2 in June and he took FOREVER to start saying a variety of words. At 16 months, he said dada and MAMA if I was lucky lol now he says mama, dada, waffle, Justin (his uncle), papa, dog, nana, ball, Buzz (lightyear), juice, cheese....I was worried and all of a sudden one day he just started exploding with words.

If it really worries you, check with your pediatrician. Mine told me that boys always talk later than girls anyways.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2010