Should I add rice cereal to my daughter's bottle

My daughter is 7 1/2 weeks old, and she seems to be always hungry. I am giving her at least 4 oz. of formula at a time. If she still seems hungry at the end of the 4 I make more for her. Do you think I should add some rice cereal to her formula to try to make sure she is full?

DanaP523

Asked by DanaP523 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ONLY do this if your doctor directs it for reflux. Her system isn't ready to handle rice cereal AND the carbs will make her hungry again FASTER.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• NO!!!!
    Do NOT add ANYTHING to a bottle!!!
    Feed her, if she is hungry give her more. ONLY time you should do ANYTHING like that is if a DOCTOR says it is ok and they tell you what to do.
    Anonymous

• no
    she too young, wait until she's 5 months
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• maybe try increasing to 6 oz instead of adding rice. rice should be given off of a spoon and not fed through a bottle.
    Anonymous

• not unless told to do so by a doctor
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• its not generally recommended for choking reasons. She may be going through a growth spurt and may need more formula to keep her satiated.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 3:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• NO, it won't help and it could choke her and if she isn't old enough to sit up and eat it off a spoon, she isn't ready to ingest it. Her guts are not ready at all.

http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Never. You should only give the amount of formula that is recommended for your baby's age and weight. If you give too much you can cause your baby to be overweight and that can lead to lifelong health problems.

Feeding a baby isn't the answer to everything. Try other things to make the baby happy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son was the same way but before giving him cereal I upped the amount of formula in his bottle and gave him 6 oz at a time that did the trick for him. I don't what the difference was between 4 oz then another 2 and the straight up 6 all at once but there was some difference in his digestion or something. I would give her a little more in the bottle and if that doesn't work talk to her Doc and see what they have to say. GL
    Anonymous

• No she is way to young. Not unless her Dr says to.
    Anonymous