Can you use an inhaler during pregnancy?

I've been getting over my allergies and its progressed to my chest. I've been weezing and couging :( My DH has an inhaler. Is it ok to use it? Cough drops just aren't cutting it.

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 3:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't use someone elses. Ask your Dr. They can give you something.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't use someone else's inhalor. Your own is probably fine (lots of women with asthama have babies and I'm sure they need to use their inhalors), but the dosage with someone else's could be different and possibly be dangerous.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Only if it's prescribed to you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• No, you should never use someone else's medicine.

If you are having breathing problems then go to the ER. If you are alone call 911. Asthmatics can use inhalers but a pregnant woman needs to be evaluated to see if that's what's best. If you aren't bad enough for the ER, then call your OBs office.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If it is the correct medication for you, it is better than restricting oxygen to your body and your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have really bad asthma ,and I am on an inhaler, the same amount I was on before I got pregnant, but only because they say that me not having my inhaler is worse then me having it. If you need a inhaler, you should talk to the doctor YOur OB because regular doctors won't give it to you because it is in a CLASS C catagory. Usually your obgyn has to okay it first. You should never share inhalers because for one, the dosage is set for every person differently and two did you know that opens the door to a lot of bacterias. Putting your mouth on something else, someone else has put their mouth on is usually a bad idea, however I'd just speak with your doc, you should get an okay!:)
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010